A couple of questions......

darzo

Freelander 2.0 HSE Auto 54 plate 65,000k

I have read somewhere that there is a fuel burning heater on the Freelander am I correct? And also correct in thinking this makes a whirring noise when I stop? Now when the whirring stops it smells strongly of diesel, this can't be right surely?

Another thing, when I first drive the car in the morning whilst it is cold it hasn't got any go in it whatsover, I live on a hill and it goes up there about 5mph. What do you think this could be?

Also, last one! Is this fitted with a cam belt if so, what mileage does it need doing?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Zoe

What you say about the fuel burning heater is correct. Sounds normal, they do smell quite bad.

They dont have a cam belt, its a chain so wont need doing for years.

Performance- it will be worse when its cold but not that bad. Do you start it and drive away straight away or leave it to warm a little before pulling away? Has it been serviced regualrly? Does the engine managemant light ever come on? Does it ever struggle to accelerate at high speeds? They occasionally have injector problems, egr valves sticking, turbo modulator valves not working, its hard to say without having it on the computer t see what everythings doing.

Freelander 2.0 HSE Auto 54 plate 65,000k

I have read somewhere that there is a fuel burning heater on the Freelander am I correct? And also correct in thinking this makes a whirring noise when I stop? Now when the whirring stops it smells strongly of diesel, this can't be right surely?

Another thing, when I first drive the car in the morning whilst it is cold it hasn't got any go in it whatsover, I live on a hill and it goes up there about 5mph. What do you think this could be?

Also, last one! Is this fitted with a cam belt if so, what mileage does it need doing?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Zoe

I have a an 04 SE auto TD4 with 26K miles and since the weather turned cold I get exactly the noises and smells that you do with the fuel burning heater. I even see smoke in the headlights if I stop in the first few minutes (can be scary).

The gearbox is programmed to stay in low gear whilst it is cold to help warm it up quicker, so it does appear to be screaming away when cold. I overcome this by using the tiptronic feature and driving in manual for a few miles (I live on a hill too). I had a 52 GS TD4 manual before this one and that one definitely pulled better up the same hill in the morning so I guess it's all about the auto box warming up.

TD4 is chain driven so no cambelt to worry about (my son just had one go on a Renault Clio and it cost £1200 to sort out the mess)!!

Incidentally you are doing really well if your Freelander has done 65,000,000 miles (well you did say 65,000k)

Regards Dennis

• 2 weeks later...
What you say about the fuel burning heater is correct. Sounds normal, they do smell quite bad.

They dont have a cam belt, its a chain so wont need doing for years.

Performance- it will be worse when its cold but not that bad. Do you start it and drive away straight away or leave it to warm a little before pulling away? Has it been serviced regualrly? Does the engine managemant light ever come on? Does it ever struggle to accelerate at high speeds? They occasionally have injector problems, egr valves sticking, turbo modulator valves not working, its hard to say without having it on the computer t see what everythings doing.

Cheers Marc.

I have been letting it warm up now ie start it up and then strap the kids in and it's a million times better! I'm just inpatient.

I'm quite liking it now lol!! Zoe

I have a an 04 SE auto TD4 with 26K miles and since the weather turned cold I get exactly the noises and smells that you do with the fuel burning heater. I even see smoke in the headlights if I stop in the first few minutes (can be scary).

The gearbox is programmed to stay in low gear whilst it is cold to help warm it up quicker, so it does appear to be screaming away when cold. I overcome this by using the tiptronic feature and driving in manual for a few miles (I live on a hill too). I had a 52 GS TD4 manual before this one and that one definitely pulled better up the same hill in the morning so I guess it's all about the auto box warming up.

TD4 is chain driven so no cambelt to worry about (my son just had one go on a Renault Clio and it cost £1200 to sort out the mess)!!

Incidentally you are doing really well if your Freelander has done 65,000,000 miles (well you did say 65,000k)

Regards Dennis

Thanks Dennis for your reply, it's much appreciated and has put my mind at rest. Like I said to Marc I have been letting it warm up first and not driving it straight off and it really is loads better.

Oh my word I can't believe I put 65 million miles, what a knob! No, it's only done 65k doh!

Thanks again, Zoe (and I'm not even blonde!)

PS, I'm sure to be back for more advice!!

Thanks Dennis for your reply, it's much appreciated and has put my mind at rest. Like I said to Marc I have been letting it warm up first and not driving it straight off and it really is loads better.

Oh my word I can't believe I put 65 million miles, what a knob! No, it's only done 65k doh!

Thanks again, Zoe (and I'm not even blonde!)

PS, I'm sure to be back for more advice!!

HI

FBH is located just behind passenger front wheel and has an exhaust there which is why you may see fumes (smoke) at times.

Whirring does continue sometimes after stopping.

It should only 'kick in' when temp is below 5 deg C and is supposed to get engine water warm to allow warmer air in cab quicker on cold mornings.

There is a further 'silencer kit' available for it as well as a 'timer' so that you can pre-programme it to start before you go out to the car :D