Dumb electric window question

unclebill1

OK, really dumb question, P38 electric drivers window, what stops it when its closed, mine runs on and the drive is beating itself to death, I've looked for a limit switch, is it pressure as its got anti trapping fingerythingies or is it in the magic box of tricks.

Anyone out there all knowing.

Bye the way have a good Christmas, bah humbug.

Cheers Bill

There isn't a limit switch you can see, it's the 'magic box of tricks'.

Depending on who you speak to, it either checks when the motor stops turning, and cuts the power, or it monitors the current draw, and when this rises as a result of the stall, cuts the power.

Obviously, it must know somehow that the limit has not been reached, so it can react to the trap finger business without resetting the window, but also close firmly when the position is reached. With firm hand pressure you can stop the window half way up.

However, it is immaterial how it works.

That 'beating itself to death' is the worn drive slipping (gears jumping), normally cured by replacing the drive quadrant and arm assembly. Some people say they have cut out a strip of unused teeth and welded them in to replace the worn ones, but I haven't seen this done.

The original fit window arms are rivited to the door skin. Replacements are normally bolted in.

I've only read about it, never done it.

That's an interesting observation redben101.

The only 'sensor' I can see is the door outstation, which probably fulfils both requirements, of being a box of magic that interfaces between the motor and the window switch pack outstation / BECM, and is small enough to possibly cost something like £30.00.

I understand this is cheaper than a new window regulator.

Whichever it is, the door card has to come off to examine the gears, and needs to come off if the door outstation needs changing.

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Hello all I'm selling my P38 Range Rover Westminster

I'm too having problems with the windows not working properly

the front drivers door window goes up and down but when going up if you hold the button in it keeps driving. you get a message saying window not set when trying to use the method in the manual for clearing this nothing happens still the same.

getting same message on front passenger window too except it doesn't try to keep driving.

Please help someone coming to see it in the morning.

ive looked at this door outstation thingy but just a circuit board and tested all components and seem fine

Carl