Road legal when outside of the UK more than one year

Paul64

You can check for the current fuel price here: http://www.petrom.com > English version > Private customers > Filling stations > Prices > Prices Petrom

The prices are in RON, all you need to do is ask google how much is it in british pounds, like this.

The cheapest diesel is £0.77 at the moment.

Chris, if you want to get well back again, ask me how many litres of diesel can we buy with minimum/medium wage ...

Edited to modify the 1st link

The cheapest I saw fuel on my drive over here last Ocotber was in Luxemburg. It worked at about 60ish p per liter. The fuel price here isnt bad. But its perfect for anyone with a V8 with LPG. LPG is still less than 30p per liter if I remember rightly. Makes me wish I never converted to diesel

It is an impossibility to have a UK registered, road legal UK vehicle outside the UK for more than twelve months being driven on the road.

Why so? There are many people who travel alot and may find them selves on the road crossing many country over a time exceeding a year. What can they possibily do to be legal? register in every country they stop in? Thats crazy.

There are many people who travel alot and may find them selves on the road crossing many country over a time exceeding a year.

All UK road legal? Or just road legal? There are other parts of the world, not so far distant from the UK, where MOTs are not an annual requirement. As long as you (or someone else?) continues to pay road tax and insurance on your behalf... Lets not get into the question about insurance cover for long periods outside the home country, one can often buy it at point of entry to foreign countries.

Chris

Why so? There are many people who travel alot and may find them selves on the road crossing many country over a time exceeding a year. What can they possibily do to be legal? register in every country they stop in? Thats crazy.

Read my earlier post. I had my UK tax disc checked at border posts......

Now look at it another way. In some countries third psarty insurance is covered by the government. Try getting payment for a car that isn't taxed in the UK in a foreign country.

You are required to haver a UK registered either taxed or SORNed. The SORN requires a UK address. If that vehicle is not at the given UK address you will be chareged for the non tax when they eventually catch up with you.

I paid my UK road tax last June. The car has not been in the UK since the first week in August it will not return to the UK until the 14th of March at the earliest.

Why should I a pensioner have to pay that money out of my 95 quid a week and others drive WITHOUT insurance in a foreign country because that is what you are doing.

Also if you take the vehicle overseas on a Carnet de Passage that Carnet is now only issued for one yerar. This then brings H. M. Customs and Excise into the frame......

mike

The reason you were asked for the tax disk was that for a vehicle to enter (to be driven) in any other country of this world (there are some exceptions - most of them are islands) it must be road legal in the country of origin (where it is registered).

For a UK reg vehicle this implies 3 things: valid MoT, valid Insurance, valid Tax Disk (or SORN).

Even the Insurance doesn't cover the country you're entering in (and you get one at the border for that country) don't be surprised if someone will ask for the UK Insurance too.

By the way, I've seen DVLA dropped the use of the term "Road Tax". I can see: "Car Tax", "Vehicle Tax/Taxation", "Tax Disk" but no "road tax". What exactly is the name of this tax in UK? IMHO I agree "road tax" could be a misleading term.

Mike. from your tone in your post it looks like you think I am trying to dodge paying for tax or insurance or find an easy way out. This is totally the opposit. I have the money.. but no one will take it becuase of my cercumstances. I just want to find a way to be legal. The UK wont let me have insurance becuase I am not there enough of the year, Romania want thousands of pounds to register the car (which I am going to have to do in the end) but I might also have to change the car to left hand drive in order to register it here. So I not trying to be unisured and irrasponsible like it seemed you suggested