Painting rear cross member

My galvy chassis is now nearly a year old so from what I can gather it should have weathered sufficiently to paint. People suggest not worth painting the chassis itself but I would quite like to do the rear cross member since I think it would look better in black.

Given the age would I be right in thinking it would be OK to power wash it well, then red oxide and black paint or should I use a different approach?

Whilst at it, I was also looking at tow bar - is this fixed properly? To bolts seem to go horizontally into X member and two go up in from underneath. As far as I can see there is no spreader plate since it appears to be into a box section of the chassis. If normal and OK for towing/recovery that is fine but it has got me wondering. Sorry I know the pic is not great but if anyone wants close ups to help seewhat is happening I will re-do.

Thanks Malcy

post-3029-1199032719_thumb.jpg

i have no knowledge on the galv chassis

but the tow pack i can help with,

i believe it has some parts missing

but these are easily made or obtained

gallery_6169_422_37758.jpg

the bar i have circled is what i believe you have missing.

LOL, i looked at the picture again... and yeah you have the bars....

wtf was i on about, i didnt look properly.. sorry!

your tow pack look all correct, just make sure everything is nice and tight!

Thanks guys

To be fair, mortus, that was possible the worst photo I have ever posted but it was intended to show the rear X member rather than the tow stuff. There are certainly bars going from the bottom of the vertical bit to the points on the chassis where you would have Jate rings. I will try to post clearer pictures tomorrow since I am more concerned about the point of attachment to the rear X member and what appears to be the lack of spreader plate.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a bit drier so I can get underneath to try and show what I am referring to.

Thanks

Malcy

Thanks guys

To be fair, mortus, that was possible the worst photo I have ever posted but it was intended to show the rear X member rather than the tow stuff. There are certainly bars going from the bottom of the vertical bit to the points on the chassis where you would have Jate rings. I will try to post clearer pictures tomorrow since I am more concerned about the point of attachment to the rear X member and what appears to be the lack of spreader plate.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a bit drier so I can get underneath to try and show what I am referring to.

Thanks

Malcy

IIRC there are tubes in the rear crossmember to prevent the front and back faces compressing/buckling under load.