p38 gearbox drain/refill

shaune

Hi all

I am just about to do a service on my 4.6 p38 automatic. all seems straight forward apart from i cannot locate the filler and drain for the gearbox. i have found the transfer box fill/drain or is this all one system.

thank you

It is not unknown for autogearboxes not to have a drain plug. I believe that after a certain model year this situation exists with the Autobox on a 38A.

I have a 38A, but not an Autobox.

Closer study of the RAVE CD from the Green Oval site may confirm or dispute my comments, and if confirming, may give a clue as to what you are supposed to do to maintain the box.

I seem to recall that if the dipstick shows the oil to be burnt, then it's drop the sump to change the filter and the fluid.

Conversely, if the fluid isn't burnt, just top up.

HTH

What engine do you have?

V8 GEMS (square top) will have a drainplug centrally in the sump.

You fill via the dipstick tube in the engine bay.

V8 THOR (bunch of bananas on top) have a filler plug (not sure about drain plug)

More difficult to fill.

Remember you will only be able to drain about 4- 5L of oil, so only refill as much

as you drain out. Then check level with a cold gearbox.