Air conditioning troubles

chrispy

Hiya,

I asked this question in the 'old' forums and got some useful tips, but I forgot to save any of them thinking the forums would be around for a while. Plus some other symptoms have become apparent since my previous post...

Anyway, the title kind of says it all, the only way to switch the air conditioning off on my 1992 Vogue SE, is to pull the fuse out. When it is on, clouds of condensation pour out of the vents and ice starts to form on them. The temperature controls do not seem to change anything, so I expect a thermostat somewhere is playing up.

I'd appreciate any other ides. I don't think the system has been regassed for a long time, so maybe that's a starting point...

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by chrispy

Hiya,

I asked this question in the 'old' forums and got some useful tips, but I forgot to save any of them thinking the forums would be around for a while. Plus some other symptoms have become apparent since my previous post...

Anyway, the title kind of says it all, the only way to switch the air conditioning off on my 1992 Vogue SE, is to pull the fuse out. When it is on, clouds of condensation pour out of the vents and ice starts to form on them. The temperature controls do not seem to change anything, so I expect a thermostat somewhere is playing up.

I'd appreciate any other ides. I don't think the system has been regassed for a long time, so maybe that's a starting point...

Cheers,

Chris

Does the air con system on the classic have a thermostat? Mine ('93) doesn't seem to react to the temperature in the vehicle.

Doesn't sound like it needs regassing if you've got ice forming :lol: What about the clutch on the air con pump? Is it maybe stuck engaged?

By the way, LRA have the old LRE forum archives, so you can probably find your old posts on there.

Geoff is right, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the refridgeration side of the system, so it's more likely to be on the control side of things.

I have a 91 heater assembly that has a thermostat built into the control switch / lever assembly with a 300mm long thermocouple.

I have a coulour coded drawing of what is purported to be a 91 air con system in pdf format, anybody wants a copy pm me with your email address and I will send it.