Having a few charging probs on my lightweight,

Ever since its been re-wired the alt has only ever had 1

big (32mm) wire direct back to the batt via a cut out

never had a prob with winching starting etc til recently where the

batt completely dies,

Speaking to someone yesterday and they recon I should have an extra

wire going into the alt from somewhere like the ignition

can anyone else confirm this ? if so why has it been working fine uptil now

(brush pack has been replaced and a 2nd alternator has been tried but still having

same prob)

cheers

Nick

The second wire goes from a small terminal on the back of the alternator, through the red light on the dash and then to ignition live. When you turn on the ignition the contact on the back of the alternator is at 0V so current flows from the ignition live and lights the light. When you start the engine the contact on the back of the alternator rises to +12v and the light goes out as there is no longer a flow of electric across the bulb.

I understand that this connection is need to "excite" something in the alternator and start it charging.

Chris

I understand that this connection is need to "excite" something in the alternator and start it charging.

Yup, exactly. If the alternator has been working without the warning light wire, it's been self exciting from stray residual fields, which has probably made charging a bit hit and miss.

Side repeater bulbs are 5 watts, the alternator light is about 1.2 to 2 watts, depends on the type of alternator fitted.

Hmmm, so would that be the reason why on my hybrid builds that Ive usually had to rev the engine past say 1500 rpm to excite the alternator?

Typically, I always use a "ACME" warning light from the local motor factors (peraly wotnots springs to mind). Dont know the wattage, but always assumed low.