Range Rover wading

wayno

After going through several deep floods in my rrc v8 ive noticed the battery charge light illuminating and the rev counter not working.

Once out of the water all goes back to normal. Im guessing its down to water in the alternator. Is there anything i can do to stop this happening.

Also whats the chances of the engine block cracking due to rapid temperature change ?

After going through several deep floods in my rrc v8 ive noticed the battery charge light illuminating and the rev counter not working.

Once out of the water all goes back to normal. Im guessing its down to water in the alternator. Is there anything i can do to stop this happening.

Also whats the chances of the engine block cracking due to rapid temperature change ?

It's more likely either the power steering belt or alternator belt (think this is how a lot are done) is slipping, unless you are going through fords which are just too deep for the poor old V8.....

If not, you could put a splash guard in front of the alternator, and see if that helps, a bit of bent tin would do fine.

Bowie.

No, not belts, it is the alternator and electronic pickup from alternator to rev counter. Not sure of a cure though, just keep driving and it clears soon enough, thats my cure for it!!

Never heard of a block cracking and theres enough people wading on this forum!

Ah well I get both belts and the pickup causing the issue....

Well I did when my revcounter worked -flipping thing is darting all over the place from just BEFORE going to Wellington @ JST's DRD. (Just making sure you don't think I am blaming you James :P)

Common problem, I would wait for a grown up to come and answer correctly, I have always lead myself to believe that it must be water inside the alternator getting between what rotates and the brushes, causing the electricity flow to cease. It clears by heat / mechanical movement, they eventually pack up with mud / dirt between the brushes and the rotar.

The rev counter is wired to 1 winding of the 3 windings found on the alternator, hence when the brush to that winding is not getting a pickup it stops feeding a signal to the rev counter.

I would say other than being in the antartic or similar, the chances of cracking your block when going wading a second to none. Ive read of sump gaskets / seals failing due to different expansion rates of metals but that was on a Suzuki in Denmark.

Your safe to keep wading :rolleyes:

The above is my playschool ladbird book 1 understanding - not gospel!

Im going to try and spray some wd40 into the alternator this weekend. Wont do any harm and hopefully should disperse any water that enters or for that matter any thats in there.

Ill try and make up some sort of splash too that certainlyb would help.

I must admit the v8 amazes me with its capability of going through water for a petrol !

Ive recently fitted a waterproofed distributor and coil boots along with good quality leads and the engine never misses a beat through water other than the alternator.