The infamous 'Landy Lean'

gorgeous george

I bought my current Series 3 SWB a couple of years ago and the suspension was ok but the car body leaned slightly to the right side. Only a couple of months ago i finally had enough pennys to get a set of rocky mountain parabolic springs with es9000 shocks. Post installation the lean was fixed and my land rover was sitting straight finally! A recent camping trip with fairly rough offroading has now brought back the lean on the same side almost looking worse than it did before! what's the deal? the only thing i didn't replace was my shackles.. Why is my landy leaning?

Cheers

Did you pre-load it before tightening the spring bolts completely? You're supposed to get it mostly done up, then load each corner a bit before final torquing, so that the bushes aren't twisted at 'nominal ride height'.

Having twist clamped into your bushes could affect ride at one side versus the other (since it would depend upon the state of load at the time they were done up (i.e. how full was your fuel tank etc).

Maybe try undoing all the spring bolts, putting a nominal load on each corner (depending upon how it is normally loaded up), and re torquing them under those conditions?

Just a thought...

Al. :)

I bought my current Series 3 SWB a couple of years ago and the suspension was ok but the car body leaned slightly to the right side. Only a couple of months ago i finally had enough pennys to get a set of rocky mountain parabolic springs with es9000 shocks. Post installation the lean was fixed and my land rover was sitting straight finally! A recent camping trip with fairly rough offroading has now brought back the lean on the same side almost looking worse than it did before! what's the deal? the only thing i didn't replace was my shackles.. Why is my landy leaning?

Cheers

If I remember correctly the factory springs are designed so that the RHD vehicle rides level with driver only and no other load on a "normally cambered" road. This is why left and right hand springs have different part numbers. I don't know whether the same would apply for a LHD vehicle (not that it matters in Oz).

Are Rocky Mountain parabolics designed to do the same thing?

TP1