Fitting a 200 TDI engine into a 404 MogNarrowing

bill van snorkle

The only reason I am considering a Mog is that with the general anti 4x4 sentiment pervading this country, highly modified vehicles such as my Landrover are gradually being forced off the roads by the authorities.

Bill

That is very interesting to hear. What are they doing to force vehicles off the road over there? Are they targetting 4x4s specifically, or modified vehicles as a whole, which your Land Rover gets caught up in?

We have all this to worry about over here too. Nearly everyone appears to be oblivious to it, but the 'harmonization' (excuse me whilst I laugh in the most contemptuous manner possible) of EU traffic regulations is going to cause anyone into modified vehicles a lot of problems over here. That's in addition to the DVLA proposals regarding their own regulations.

Mike

Bill

That is very interesting to hear. What are they doing to force vehicles off the road over there? Are they targetting 4x4s specifically, or modified vehicles as a whole, which your Land Rover gets caught up in?

We have all this to worry about over here too. Nearly everyone appears to be oblivious to it, but the 'harmonization' (excuse me whilst I laugh in the most contemptuous manner possible) of EU traffic regulations is going to cause anyone into modified vehicles a lot of problems over here. That's in addition to the DVLA proposals regarding their own regulations.

Mike

Hi Mike,The TOG (transport operations group) have been setting at main entrances and exits to popular forest areas that four wheel drivers frequent on week ends. Any vehicle that looks modified from standard gets hauled over and checked for road worthiness and compliance with design rule regs including checks on engineering reports. Many coppers actually own 4wds but the ones assigned to this group seem to have an anti 4wd bias and they are determined to find something, anything wrong such as a mud covered light lense, scratched windscreen or slight oil leaks,with the vehicles to cause the maximum amount of hassle and force the owner to obtain a roadworthy certificate (MOT)within 7 days or the registration is suspended, 30 days and it's cancelled. Technically, engineering report certification, which can cost around AUS$1000 is only valid for 30 days, so if one is too busy with family or work committments to attend to the repairs within that period then this expense can be incurred again without any guarantee that the vehicle will comply again due to changes in regulations. shortening the wheelbase on a 100'' Range Rover chassis is just one example of what was once permitted, but is now outlawed no matter who performs the operation.

I put up with this sort of carp for many years, but now I am getting tired of looking over my shoulder every time I drive my truck, so now I think it may be time to get into something just as capable but a little less conspicuous. A Mog or as mentioned before a Canter with Mog axles and camper style body would be relatively anonymous in comparison with the typical jacked up big wheeled Landy /Toy/ Nissan that these buggers focus on.

Bill.

Bill

That sounds pretty bad. I feel sorry for you lot over there having to cope with all that. We are lucky over here - at the moment!

What you are going through is exactly what will happen over when our DVLA (Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency) get started with all their plans. In fact they will simply be enforcing the regulations that have been in place here for many many years, but have been largely ignored (without penalty) by car modifiers. The hot rodders will get hit worst of all, but the Land Rover scene will get a lot of attention too.

On top of that we have the 'harmonization' (excuse me whilst I laugh out loud) of EU traffic regulations that looks likely to cause us all sorts of problems. Those will make the potential DVLA disaster look insignificant because the EU want to do away with our SVA (Single Vehicle Approval) test and impose even tighter restrictions. Restricted use for historic vehicles and a severe clamp-down on modifications are not out of the question.

Mike

:ph34r: