Get the temperature reading correct LR 90 and serpentine V8

A year or so back I fitted a serpentine 3.9 from a 1995 Disco in to my 1986 Ninety. The whole job went really well until I got to connecting the temperature guage. Hardly a major issue you may think, but I really want to know if my engine is getting too hot (i.e. when the rad is clogged with goop!)

This engine has a 1/8" threaded port for its temp sender which gives a very different output compared with the original early V8 5/8" threaded sender. There's nowhere to fit the old sender to the new engine or a suitable position to machine the manifold to suit.

I wondered if the parts from a 50th V8 would work but I don't want to waste the cash on the parts to find out they're not going to work. I would like to keep the gauges on the dash looking as original as possible.

Does anyone know what sender and gauge combination I can use?

Cheers

Michael

Not sure what your original engine was, but a carb V8 Defender sender fits a treat. There are other threads on this, so do a search for the finer details.

Original engine was a carb 3.5 V8, that uses the larger diameter sender, the same size as pre-serpentine 3.9s My later engine has no provision in the inlet manifold for this size of sender, otherwise I'd be laughing. Thanks anyway, I'll continue searching the archives on this topic.

try and AMR3321 .

this is a "black" colour coded sender with an 1/8 npt thread .

or try an AMR1425 green colour coded which will make gauge read higher than the black one does .

both these are for 300tdi defender engines .

i had a green AMR1425 in mine but it read very high on the temp gauge , but changed it to an AMR3321 "black" and the gauge now reads correctly .

they both have single wire connection, the earth being the chassis .

dont do them up too tight or they snap , only nip them up to the neck of thread and let sealant do the rest .

cheers.

ian