Troubled Waters

Hi all,

Thanks for advice few weeks back. :D

Have done a few checks of hoses and taking off expansion tank cap to feel for any pressure on start up (no real pressure there) still have probs!

When travelling on longer trips ie over 10 miles, water forces its way out of top of expansion tank. Could it be a dodgy cap and rubber seal or is it something more sinister?

As a cooling system heats up surely excess pressure would be let out ( can someone confirm please ) Is this pressure usually let out of the top of the cap as there seems to be a metal plate in the top of it. If this is correct why does my cap not seem to have an outlet hole on the top of it??

The other question is if the cooling system is not supposed to vent out, why am I having this problem?

I was told it could be a head gasket problem as a worst case scenario but I have checked the oil and it is lovely and clean, not a trace of milky coffee in sight.

Would it always mean a mixture of oil and water within the engine if this was the problem?

If any one can shed a bit more light I would greatly appreciate it,

Thanks Landrelay

2000 TD5 Defender 90

my TD5 55 plate leaked from the cap as well from when it was new to the day i part ex it i was sure it was the cap

never did any damage just make sure you keep it topped up weekly

its was only a small amout but the outside of the tank went pink and all the pipes under it where pink

i used to top it up once a week about a cup full

dan

The Td5 tanks are not great, and have a habit of this. I'd change the cap - there is a pressure relief in this which keep the system pressurised when hot to increase the boiling point of the coolant (as with most modern cooling systems) and if this isn't working it could leak - it should blow off but not till somewhere between 10 and 15psi system pressure, IIRC.

If leaking it also could **** your engine if it gets too hot and the coolant boils locally inside the engine...