series 3 head gasket

bonbonbites3

hi all,

I have a series 3 2.25 petrol swb landy thats using water(no leaks) and smokes a bit.Next week I intend removing the head and replacing the gasket and doing a general inspection.Is there any advice anybody could give on doing this job as I have very little experience.I do have another engine in my garage which is quite a bit newer,could i simply swap the heads? all advice welcome thanks.post-2196-1202206730_thumb.jpg[

s

hi all,

I have a series 3 2.25 petrol swb landy thats using water(no leaks) and smokes a bit.Next week I intend removing the head and replacing the gasket and doing a general inspection.Is there any advice anybody could give on doing this job as I have very little experience.I do have another engine in my garage which is quite a bit newer,could i simply swap the heads? all advice welcome thanks.post-2196-1202206730_thumb.jpg[

These are a very basic simple and forgiving engine to work on and should give you no real headaches if you follow basic procedures from a shop manual..Things to look out for. Check for cracks in the head between the valves and on the flat surfaces between the combustion chambers ,clear any blocked water passage holes in both head and block,remove all loose carbon from combustion chambers and piston tops with rags or wads of newspaper stuffed into the cam follower bores to prevent carbon from getting on to the pushrod seats and giving you a false reading when you readjust the tappets after refitting the head.While you have the head off you may want to renew the valve stem seals if you have access to a valve spring compressor. This may cure the smoking and will give you an opportunity to gauge the condition of the valves and seats to determin if a valve grind is worth doing providing you haven't already done so via acompression test. Take care when refitting the rocker assembly that the hollow locating dowells are aligned with their respective holes befor tightening the bolts down. they can be easily damaged and put the rockers out of alignment.

Bill.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Yes... be REALLY sure that you aren't just losing water somewhere else.... it's a lot of work compared to just 2 jubilees and a new hose :P

Check for high pressure leaks -get the engine FULLY up to running temperature, and go hunting.

ALL hoses, inc heater etc.

Look for crusty deposits on the radiator -this oftens hides a leak as the water evaporates so fast you don't notice.

Same goes for the heater -check the tap on the back of the block, these can leak from a couple of places.....

Check radiator and block drains.

Then think about taking the head off :)

It is a very simple operation tbh, exhaust off, carb off, top hose, heater hose, oil feed to head, rocker cover off, undo all the headbolts and it's loose. The head is VERY heavy if you leave the exhaust manifold in place (probably a 2 person job to get it up and over the wing/radiator), but through bitter experience it is better to leave it on unless you are getting it machined -studs love to snap... and I even managed to crack a manifold into two pieces just doing it back up once....

Follow a Haynes, and you should be OK.

Unless your existing head is broken/worn out, then I don't see any point in swapping heads, if the other engine already has the head off then it would be worth comparing the two... other than that I wouldn't bother :)

*edit* nice looking truck btw ;)