Crank oil seal - part# / upgrade enquiry

FridgeFreezer

Yes, for a change LR re-used a part across all their engines :blink:

The Range Rover prats book lists the crank nose oil seal as ETC5065, however Paddocks sell ERR1632 which specifies "single lip" and makes me think there may be a better item out there?

Indeed ............. I think ETC5065 was superseded by ERR1632.............. these are black seals

There is also a double lip seal which I think is ERR6490.................this is a brown seal

It matters not which one you use..............they all f'kin leak to some degree.................

I think I used the single lip seal in the rebuild ........... ERR1632 .............. this one seems OKish ........ just a little dampness below it

:)

Ian

My EPC lists both the ERR1632 & ETC5064 as superseded.

ERR6490 is the current one.

If this is a double seal then it would be the ideal choice.

It seems strange to some that a rubber seal could wear away a crankshaft but it can. If a groove has been worn then a new seal running in that groove will not seal for long. In any situation like this then fit either a double lip seal or a seal with a thinner body which you can install further into the housing which places the lip on a fresh piece of shaft.

Steve

My EPC lists both the ERR1632 & ETC5064 as superseded.

ERR6490 is the current one.

If this is a double seal then it would be the ideal choice.

It seems strange to some that a rubber seal could wear away a crankshaft but it can. If a groove has been worn then a new seal running in that groove will not seal for long. In any situation like this then fit either a double lip seal or a seal with a thinner body which you can install further into the housing which places the lip on a fresh piece of shaft.

Steve

ERR 1632 superseeded to ERR 6490 crankshaft seal

ETC 5064 camshaft seal

FridaT

www.turner-engineering.co.uk