110 2.5TD Fuel consumption

Hello all, I'm a newby to the site so please don't flame me if this question has been asked before, I have done a search but no info came up.

I'm very interested in a 2.5TD 110 that's for sale near me and would just like to know what MPG I can realistically expect from it. I've not got a heavy right foot and currently get 40MPG from a Vauxhall Brava 2.5TD 2 wheel drive.

My other question is will this engine take a bit of veg oil. :rolleyes:

Thanks for reading.

Rob

The average RAC truck does 19 MPG. :ph34r:

The TD is one of those engines that you either get a good one and it's great, or more likely you'll get one that goes pop at somewhere between 80-140k miles. So I'd say look for a decent rebuilt engine. Others will be along to pass their judgement.

Guest wunntenn

I got a good 19J engine in my 110 TD, did 25+ mpg. It was s/h and had done 110,000 when I got it. I put on an Allard intercooler and ran another 80,000 trouble free miles and was recently swapped for a 200tdi, but when it came out it was still running sweet as a nut. Other are terrifyingly useless. I think I was lucky, although it wasnt abused and oil changed every 4000 miles. They're not bad engines, it's just that some of them were not very good, if you know what I mean.

Hi

I used to get 25-28mpg out of my 2.5td 90 but she would only do 50mph

but she used to go every were in 5th gear.

as long as thay haven't been turned down for the mot thay will do every thing the 200tdi will, with out the mpg or speed. mine was on 113,000 miles i've taken it out for the TDI only as the clutch went i was happy with how it drove.]

Tim

Thanks for the replies chaps, it looks like 25 ish to the gallon then. I am a self employed mechanic and I have done lots of work on most LandRovers but I’ve never done a fuel consumption test. I’ve always wanted a LandRover but could never justify the expense of running one, but I’ve decided I’m not going to get any younger and I’ll be dead a long time, so now’s the time to push the boat out. :lol:

Rob

Guest wunntenn

"could never justify the expense of running one"

Judging ownership cost of a LandRover solely on fuel consumption is the reason there are not more people owning them. They dont realise they offer better value in the long term. Cheaper insurance, cheaper parts, longer life, less depreciation (better resale value), home servicing, adaptable, rebuildable etc etc etc. My 'Defender' is almost 20 years old now. A few new panels, a few parts here and there, but it's the same vehicle and 70mph in it is as fast as 70mph in a Toyota Prius, but my cars more environmentally friendly. The biggest environmental cost in ownership of ANY vehicle is the construction - how many non-Land Rovers from 20 years ago are still driving around looking as good as my vehicle? Pretty damn few - they are all in the scrappies and heading for China. Rant over! :-)