hand brake cable adjustment

discojmz

morning gents

MOT tuesday so decided to take the adjustment up on my handbrake (200tdi with late cable op handbrake)

for a while now, handbrake does nothing 1st 2 clicks, starts to come on on no 3 and is on tight-ish on no4 (top position)

jumped underneath, took up the play on the back of the drum, still same story, but can possibly get it to do nothing and come on tight on 3

even when i jam the shoes against the drum, the cable still has literally bunched up slack at the lever end which gets taken up on those first 2 clicks before actually moving the handbrake mechanism.

is there a way to take slack out of the actual cable rather than just compensating for wear of the shoes... or do i need a new cable?

and yes, i would go x-brake and will at some point in the future, but my budget cant stretch to it just at the moment.

Jim

oh and whilst i remember, where is my handbrake lever supposed to sit at rest (off). my father's 300tdi one angles down to almost touching the console below. mine sits horizontal when released

yeah theres a wierd two sided (knurled) nut in there that you're supposed to release to give enough slack to make the adjustments. i didnt need to slacken it, and when i tried i couldnt easily anyway. looks like i shall be trying that then lol

Pretty sure there is a threaded nut on the top end of the cable under the centre consule cover. PITA to reach IIRC. i will check though as I have had both types of handbrake and could be mixing them up!

you have 2 nuts both ends of the cable (spanner size is 17)

:blink: TWIZZLE :blink: