300 TDi Help Please!!!

Guest weeble

Just fitted a 300 tdi to the trayback and taken it for its first long test drive this morning to find something a little "strange". :angry:

After approx 10 miles i noticed a LOT of smoke coming out of the exhaust but on investigation realised it was steam. :blink:

So Im thinking to myself head gasket or possably a cracked head. Strangly when the pressure cap was removed all the steaming stops and it drives OK but again when replaced exactly the same thingh happened although there was no excessive pressure and it dosent seem to be using excessive amounts of water.

So is it likely to be just the head gasket or do you think the head is cracked before i start ripping it to pieces.

Any advice greatly appreciated :rolleyes::rolleyes:

It sounds as if the water is getting sucked in if the system isn't over-pressurising as cylinder compression is a lot higher than the water pressure when it's up to running temperature. I've just rebuilt one of these engines and I can't think of anywhere else that water can get sucked into the engine apart from the inlet side of the head (but then the head gasket might be doing something wierd :blink: ) If it was me, I'd take the head off and get it crack tested, but I'm not 100% sure that this is your problem.

10-miles indicates the cooling system is up to temperature, so the pressure from this may push the coolant out of the gasket/head, which then comes out of your exhaust.

Have you thought about using ceramic motor seal? I used it once on a V8 and it worked - it's supposed to repair cracks in heads/liners.

Les.

Thinking on from your post Les it makes sense that it could be finding its way in to the exhaust side as the system is not excessivly pressurising. Do you have any experiance of these heads cracking?.

Well yes unfortunately :( The 300TDi engine that I bought had a crack and it was warped beyond reasonable repair too, so it went in the bin. I was given a supposedly good 2nd hand head off an engine that had a damaged crank and that was cracked too! I bought a brand new complete head from Turner Engineering in the end - I got fed-up with paying to have heads tested that then went straight in the bin.

Les.

Right then I think i will remove the manifolds and pressurise the system to see if I can see any water in the ports. Then it looks like the head is coming off. :angry::angry:

:(:(:angry::angry:

No need Ralph,

Just taken off the manifolds and pressurised the system to find water RUNNING out of No 2 exhaust port so looks fairly terminal.

Going to remove the head next to see if i can see anything else.