2.5 NA No go

Hi everyone! Newbie here!

I have an '85 ex-MOD 2.5 n/a 110 h/t. I'm fairly (ie 'very') new to Land Rovering and car mechanics as a whole - so be gentle with me! But what better way to learn than on a Land Rover, right? Anyway, one morning after many months of faithful service, right up to the previous day, the ol' gal simply wouldn't start. The engine would turn over, but wouldn't fire. I've been told the stop solenoid is my first port of call. Is there any way to confirm if this is working without removing and in order to remove it, would I need to drain the fuel first? I cracked the injectors and appear to be getting fuel to them. The battery was kinda old and I could smell gas coming from it indicating it was done. I put a new Optima Red-Top in there this morning (ooh, hark at me!), but still no go. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

First stop would be stop solenoid, if you get someone to switch ignition on, you should hear it click with head under bonnet, check it's getting volts as well, could be a wiring problem. Shouldn't need to drain fuel to remove it.

Are your glow plugs working?