Late 12J to 19J 'conversion'?

Folks I have and ex-MOD 110 2.5NA. The engine is a '98 ABRO rebuild (not necessarily a good thing I know...) and appears to use a 19J block (has the extra oil return). I don't know what pistons. I'm in the early stages of figuring out what would be required to 'TD-ify' it. It's LHD (if that makes a difference to the piping).

[I know fitting a TDI would be better but over here they're like hens' teeth. I thought it would be an interesting project :ph34r: ]

INJ PUMP

o is the TD pump a direct bolt on replacement for the NA (pump to block / same pump pulleys / same lines)? is it essentially the same CAV DPS with the fuel enhancement thingies added?

o is the boost-related fuelling done directly through manifold air pressure? where exactly does it tap off?

o is there a 'better' pump alternative (e.g. a compatible Bosch VE pump)?

o what about injectors?

INTERCOOLER

o TDI rad + i/c setup? or something aftermarket (e.g. Allard)? or custom everything? Again bear in mind that what's cheap and readily available in UK may cost me a fortune shipped

TURBO + MANIFOLDS

o what are the pros / cons of the various LR turbos (Garrett T2 and/or T25, right?)

o if I happened to have a spare Mitsubishi TD04 (Subaru flanges... not sure what trim) would it be worth trying to design something around that? It is internally wastegated (wastegate pressure about 6-7 psi iirc)

o what bits do I need for the boost control?

o is it worth getting (in particular shipping) manifolds - if custom zorst / intake / ic pipework is required anyway?

I am reasonably familiar with gasoline turbo setups (other car is a Subaru WRX) but obviously just thinking out loud at this stage - your thoughts / recommendations / experience much appreciated! I've been searching but haven't come up with much beyond the usual 19J love-hate.

I have considered this conversion before. I to have a late exmil engine, which you should find is an 11J not 12J. These engines do appear to be 19J blocks as they are drilled and tapped for the oil feed and return lines. I have also chased up the manifold, turbo, injection pump and other bits from the outside of a 19J to try doing this conversion. However, at this point I have also scared up a cheapish 200tdi so which seemed like a better idea after giving the 11J alot of thought.

Back to the 11J... I live in Calgary which is at about 4000ft above sea level and I often drive as high as 7000ft so I really notice the lack of power that the 3%/1000ft of elevation gives the na engine. Installing the 19J IP pump and turbo on the 11J without changing the pistons (and maybe some other bits) would likely result in an early death for the 11J but fitting the turbo while keeping the stock fueling and keeping the boost down to around 5psi should pick up the power and fuel economy in the 11J. In effect what I think would be worth while is using the turbo to simulate having the engine at sea level and I find that the 2.5na is an ok engine at sea level.

So to sum up you can do it but think about what you want it to do, any thing other than a small boost in power will get quickly more complicated. Also you will have to use an oil cooler if you don't have one already, these engines even in NA form cook the oil on long hard Canadian drives and the oil is what is used to cool the pistons.