Water Running Noise

1doubleb

:unsure: I have a noise of water running behind the dash board on the passenger side of my Disco 2. The carpet is not wet and I've checked for leaks under the hood and con't find the cause anywhere. Does anybody have a clue what may be causing this and more how do I correct it?

sounds like air in heater rad .

it could be something as simple as a loose hose clip anywhere on coolant system or a pin hole or splitting hose or corroded rad vains or very worse case headgasket , you will notice it more when cold as air can be drawn in through suction when cold , as pressure builds up it will force water out through a loose clip , try bleeding system and recheck every couple of days also check header tank cap for tightness and good seal

you could run it to a garage and ask them to pressure test the system this would be a quick way to check the coolant system

luck hope this is of some help

• 2 weeks later...

Can I confirm the symptoms of the noise?

On my vehicle, it is loudest in the morning, when the engine is first started. Once the engine warms up, the gurgling water running noise goes away.

I believe that this is due to trapped air in the cooling system, but I've not been successful in bleeding the cooling system. I've observed the route that the water pipes take as it goes from the engine to the firewall and out again to the water pump. If air is trapped in that pipe, no amount of bleeding via the top hose can get that air out, because it is trapped and can't be released.

So I really don't have an answer for you, but I share your concern that its not "normal".

Lawrance Lee

Melbourne, Australia

You could try making up a T piece for the top hose ID with a hot water rad bleed fitting or similar, welded on. A piece of suitable tube with the fitting added.

Cut hose at it's highest point or close to, insert & clamp T piece in, bleed air. I haven't seen a Td5 but I recall someone commenting that something similar is fitted to the top hose of those.