chassis rot

Hi guys just spent the day cutting off the front outrigger on my 110 and there is a big hole behind it . was just wanting to know if this is worth reparing with a plate or am i better off getting a new chassis as i have the other outrigger to do and also the rear cross member have been around the rest of chassis with hammer and all seams fine . your thoughts would be most welcome .

STA70706Small.jpg

Cheers Iain

That is a nice hole! i would cut the affected area out, get a peice of 3mm plate 2" taller than the chassis and about 6" longer than the hole, then drill a series of holes verticly about 1" in from either end, you can then offer it up and make it in to a small 'c' section and get a decent weld on the top side and bottom of the chassis, aswell as some puddlewelds.

Thats just what i would do and i am not a trained person or anything, just my 2p.

Will.

Don't just cut all the rot out in one go - you might weaken the chassis enough that the weight of the vehicle deforms it. I would cut the side out first as it's doing nothing with regards to chassis strength (the top does at least have a 'spine' still), then the top. Once it's repaired, then fit the new outrigger. If you put the repair plates on the top of the chassis - rather than 'in the hole' - make sure that the fact that the outrigger is a bit further out than before will not matter - especially with bulkhead outriggers, as the fit is tight anyway usually.

I'm surprised that the bottom hasn't gone through as well - it's usual to find a hole behind where an outrigger was. I would suspect that the bottom may be very thin at least.

Les.

:lol: at Muddy .. Les thanks for the advice poked a chisel in there and it all seams solid was thinking of doing it that way but making it flush with the chassis . i have my brother in law coming over to do the welding for me as he a welder to trade all i got to do is prep it for him ( my welding ok but with it being a stressed area thought i would get him to do it ).

On another note how can you tell what swivel seal to get as i not sure what axle it is . it could be off a RRC as it got two steering dampers .

Cheers Iain