300Tdi on Veg Oil? any experience of this

Hi everyone I'm new to Landrover ownership and have not long had the pleasure of a 300Tdi 110 CSW in the family.

I'm trying to keep the running costs down (and give the Tax man as little money as possible ;) )and am interested in running my Land rover on veg oil, or preferably a veg oil/diesel mix as I understand this should need less alterations (fuel pre-heater, new injectors etc) than straight veg oil does.

Does anyone have any experience of this especially with a 300Tdi.

Cheers Jim

Hi everyone I'm new to Landrover ownership and have not long had the pleasure of a 300Tdi 110 CSW in the family.

I'm trying to keep the running costs down (and give the Tax man as little money as possible ;) )and am interested in running my Land rover on veg oil, or preferably a veg oil/diesel mix as I understand this should need less alterations (fuel pre-heater, new injectors etc) than straight veg oil does.

Does anyone have any experience of this especially with a 300Tdi.

Cheers Jim

Don't mix .. It'll be fine for a while, then it will die.

The 300Tdi is the second best engine ever fitted into a defender.(I'm entitled to my opinion!) It would be a shame to kill it.

Fit a proper kit. The initial outlay is quite high, but the payback is much higher than mixing, and at least it isn't killing your engine.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...rt=#entry220371

Don't mix .. It'll be fine for a while, then it will die.

The 300Tdi is the second best engine ever fitted into a defender.(I'm entitled to my opinion!) It would be a shame to kill it.

Fit a proper kit. The initial outlay is quite high, but the payback is much higher than mixing, and at least it isn't killing your engine.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...rt=#entry220371

Could you quantify why you say this, i use a blend (80/20 veg/diesel) on my 200tdi and its fine...

Could you quantify why you say this, i use a blend (80/20 veg/diesel) on my 200tdi and its fine...

Of course ..

Firstly read this .... http://www.dieselveg.com/why_should_i_convert.htm

Then here ... http://www.dieselveg.com/conversion%20info.htm

"polymerisation on the bores creating premature engine wear" is quite a worrying issue. The other ones like straining the injector pump and injector problems .. It all adds up to stressing and straining and causing premature failure of your engines most expensive parts.

One injector pump failure alone will cost you about the same as a proper twin tank kit.

At least with the twin tank you will get better mpg when cold.

Not stink so much like a chippy.

Be able to run 99% veggie depending on how many cold starts you do.

Running 80/20 in a direct injection engine with a good bosch pump will work, and i'm not saying it won't. I'm suprised you get a good cold start in winter though. Also suprised that your injector pump isn't starting to leak etc etc.

If the pump leaks, its not just about loosing the odd drop of fuel. It's an MOT failure, so its gotta be fixed.

Aah, some interesting points. My injector pump was leaking before i got the car, so i had it rebuilt by diesel bob with heavy duty veg-oil proof seals. cold starting can be a problem, it takes a min or so to get going, whilst she smokes like a chimney, but after that you really wouldnt know any different. I intend on running 100% veg in the summer, providing its warm, and not an Arctic summer!!!

Aah, some interesting points. My injector pump was leaking before i got the car, so i had it rebuilt by diesel bob with heavy duty veg-oil proof seals. cold starting can be a problem, it takes a min or so to get going, whilst she smokes like a chimney, but after that you really wouldnt know any different. I intend on running 100% veg in the summer, providing its warm, and not an Arctic summer!!!

All that smoking like a chimney is the part thats causing the most damage.

Also running this way you are probably getting about 23mpg. With a proper conversion you should get back to 28mpg.

I see that adding up as well.

your solution. (worked out on 55p per litre of veggie)

28mpg @ 110 per litre = £4.95 per gallon = 17.68p per mile

23mpg @ (110x 20)+(55x80) divided by 100 = 66pence per litre in your tank with a 80/20 mix. = £2.97 per gallon = 12.9 pence per mile

So you save 4.78 pence per mile. Which is an impressive £956 in 20,000 miles.

Twin tank.

28mpg @ 55 per litre = £2.475 per gallon = 8.84p per mile

Thus saving 8.84p per mile on diesel cost = £1768 in 20000 miles

And more suprisingly .. saving £804 on your method of an 80%veggie and 20%diesel mix in 20,000miles. And without the engine damage, poor cold starts, smoking the place out etc etc.

As the proper kit only costs about £500 from dieselveg .....

Hope this answers your query ;)

OH .. DISCLAIMER .. FIGURES AND ACCURACY OF CONTENT NOT GUARANTEED IN ANY WAY SO DON'T BLAME ME IF IT ALL GOES PEAR SHAPED .. ETC ETC :lol: