Changing Lock Barrels

I thought I'd found an easy Saturday pm job, I'll change the 3 lock barrels on my 1986 90 which I bought about 6 months ago! Put the door card back on and poliushed the dash instead!!!! Anybody tell me how I do it, do I really have to take the lock assembly off? Thanks

I thought I'd found an easy Saturday pm job, I'll change the 3 lock barrels on my 1986 90 which I bought about 6 months ago! Put the door card back on and poliushed the dash instead!!!! Anybody tell me how I do it, do I really have to take the lock assembly off? Thanks

Is there a tiny screw that goes in to the back of the barrel and holds them in?

When I did the ones on my 1994 Defender I undid this screw and they came straight out.

If the 1986 ones are the same (not sure if that's lift up handles?) you may need to drill a small hole in the interior side of the door to get the screwdriver in.

For front doors- take the door cards off, you should then be just about able to see a very small phillips head screw on the inside end of the lock barrel. If you undo this screw the lock barrel will simply come out- the screws can be undo with a screwdriver bit held in a spanner but it is easier to drill a hole in the inner metal plate of the door in lien with the screws to be able to undo them with a normal screwdriver. Once the lock barrel is unscrewed the back part of it needs to be removed and put on the new barrel- this is simply done by inserting a nail or similar into the small hole in the side which presses a pin down. Put the metal bit on the new barrel and slide it back into the hole, do up the screw and job done...

For back door- unbolt the whole lock and take it off the door. You should then be able to see a small hole in the barrel section- put the nail in this hole and the barrel can then be pulled out. Swap the metal back end onto the new lock barrel and push it into the lock and bolt the whole lock back onto the door.

Job done in about 1/2 an hour ish...

Shrek