wirring noiseat speed???

my '89 TD makes a kind of wirring noise at about 35 mph and gets louder when the speed increases to 50+ anyone got any ideas of what it is?? sounds as if it coming from the egine bay but not 100% on that.

my '89 TD makes a kind of wirring noise at about 35 mph and gets louder when the speed increases to 50+ anyone got any ideas of what it is?? sounds as if it coming from the egine bay but not 100% on that.

Hi Sheppy,

It it engine or road speed related? Does it change when you dip the clutch?

Does it change when switching from drive to overrun?

the sound doesnt appear to change when the clutch is depressed.it sounds like the same wirring noise the belts located on the front of the engine below the cooling fan. i noticed that these make a noticable amount of noise when staionary/idle. could it be they need tightening/replacing??

Thanks

I assume you don't have PAS fitted? though you say belts :huh:

Could be bearings in the water pump or the alternator.

You can remove the belt round the water pump and alternator and run it and see if the noise is still there.

Don't run it for longer than a few seconds as you'll have no coolant circulation without the pump running.

If you do have PAS, do the same and remove the belt and see if the noise is still there.

To locate the noise, if you have a length of hose, put one end to your ear and listen around the engine with the other end.

I don't need to tell you not to get the hose caught in the whirling belts ;)

yes it does have PAS, is that uncommon for this age/spec??

Best wait for an adult to answer that one. :P

I can't remember exactly when PAS was introduced TBH, thought it might have been after the TD, possibly not.

Guest wunntenn

Check your speedo cable into the dash - it can make all kind of noises like that if starts to come loose, and it will sound exactly like there's a bit of mischief afoot in the engine bay. Pull the dash front apart and check that its properly screwed in. Does your speedo needle dance about a bit? Just a thought.

Check your speedo cable into the dash - it can make all kind of noises like that if starts to come loose, and it will sound exactly like there's a bit of mischief afoot in the engine bay. Pull the dash front apart and check that its properly screwed in. Does your speedo needle dance about a bit? Just a thought.

will check that then as my speedo is also next to useless the amount it bounces.