TD5 Gearbox

No. Bellhousing and I think probably input shaft are different. It is slightly possible you might get away with changing the bellhousing and input shaft from the old box into the new one but the later (Td5 age) boxes have bigger bearings etc and I am not sure if it is a straight swap or not, I can't say I know of anybody round here having done it.

No doubt the gearbox guru Mr Ashcroft would be able to tell you though :)

Guest diesel_jim

A chap on the d90 forum in the states has done several, converting Td5 boxes to suit Tdi's.

he says it's "just a case of swapping the front shaft and bellhousing" like Bogmonster says.... not sure how difficult it becomes though.

I think it's a strip and rebuild of the box but not 100% sure. In other words it can be done but is not what you would call a "straight swap" - maybe worthwhile if you had an old box to cannibalise for bits though.

I think it's a strip and rebuild of the box but not 100% sure. In other words it can be done but is not what you would call a "straight swap" - maybe worthwhile if you had an old box to cannibalise for bits though.

Thanks for the help, i have decided to keep my 300tdi and do a chassis up rebuild so i will be getting a recon gearbox. I was going to get a second hand box to put in and then part ex my truck for a newer model but have decided that i like my old truck and am abit worried that the newer defenders are maybe to advanced for my limited mechanical skills. I'm just priceing up bits at the moment but am looking at spending about £4000 on a DIY refurb and hope to have a truck that will last me a very long time and still cheaper than a new truck. I'm sure i will be asking for plenty of advice in the near future, so thanks in advance.