Filler neck filter

Lighthouse_jim

Can any body help? I want to get the gauze filter out of the filler neck on my SWB SIII. There are various lumps of gunge floating around in it, and when I try to put cold biodiesel in, it's too thick to flow through. I can turn the filter through 90 degrees clockwise, which brings it up by about half an inch, but then it stops. Is it just a sticking bayonet type fitting, or am I missing something?

Any suggestions welcome, especially helpful ones,

Jim

Jim,

The filler spout/filter thing is indeed like a bayonet. It should be possible to pull out and turn through a couple of degrees to get it to lock in the out position. However, you should then be able to turn it a bit more, and pull it out completely.

I'm not sure that is very clear, but if you pull, then turn, then pull it should come out...

Mark

Jim,

The filler spout/filter thing is indeed like a bayonet. It should be possible to pull out and turn through a couple of degrees to get it to lock in the out position. However, you should then be able to turn it a bit more, and pull it out completely.

I'm not sure that is very clear, but if you pull, then turn, then pull it should come out...

Mark

This is correct. With the high-flow diesel pumps in Australia I need to pull mine out every time I fill up. If you haven't pulled it out in a long time if may take a bit of jiggling/forcing to free it the first time.

This is correct. With the high-flow diesel pumps in Australia I need to pull mine out every time I fill up. If you haven't pulled it out in a long time if may take a bit of jiggling/forcing to free it the first time.

Jiggling, forcing, yanking - it still won't come out. It goes round and round, and lifts about half an inch, but at this rate I shall resort to taking the whole assembly out. I have thought about just whacking something through the gauze <_< , but given the muck that it has retained, it's probably serving a useful purpose.

Jim

Thanks for the help. I finally got fed up and really pulled at it. It turned out that there was a couple of links of chain attached to the bottom (presumably to stop it from coming right out and being lost). The links must have got jammed and stopped it from lifting. Presumably the rest of the chain is swimming about in the bottom of the tank!

Anyway, the filter is now clean, and I can pour the biodiesel in without it taking five minutes for half a gallon.

Cheers,

Jim.

• 2 weeks later...
--- It turned out that there was a couple of links of chain attached to the bottom

Pitty I haven't been here for a while. I would have told you that there is a chain on the bottom of the funnel extension so it doesn't inadvertantly get removed and lost. To remove the chain, or re-install it, you have to remove the rubber fill-hose at the bottom of the filler neck to get into the bottom of the filler. Then the chain and it's anchor are easily accessible.

Merry Christmas

Greg S

Pitty I haven't been here for a while. I would have told you that there is a chain on the bottom of the funnel extension so it doesn't inadvertantly get removed and lost. To remove the chain, or re-install it, you have to remove the rubber fill-hose at the bottom of the filler neck to get into the bottom of the filler. Then the chain and it's anchor are easily accessible.

Merry Christmas

Greg S

I forgot about the second chain. I don't think the military fitted them to either of my fillers, and the chain has long ago broken on every other landy I have owned. In Australia it is necessary to remove the neck/filter completely if you want to use the high-flow diesel pumps.

• 2 weeks later...
I forgot about the second chain. I don't think the military fitted them to either of my fillers, and the chain has long ago broken on every other landy I have owned. In Australia it is necessary to remove the neck/filter completely if you want to use the high-flow diesel pumps.

yup, aint got any secondary chains on my 109 FFR tank fillers