Quick Steering Boxes???

smo

I have a friend who has had two from QT on his Tomcat racer, both have suffered from twisted sector shafts. Adwest will repair them for £262.50 a pop but offer no guarantee.

I'm going to stick with a standard 4 bolt box and fit a quickner in the column.

Having watched a number of LR being pulled or winched out of trouble yesterday it became obvious that it was taking all the drivers might to get the steering in the direction of pull rather than the rut they were stuck in. Based on that I would think the quick box was not a good idea unless it was for use in a racer.

Steve

Tomcat also do / did quick ratio boxes. IIRC they also did a box with DII internals which has a much tougher sector shaft. However, I know of people who'ved used quick ratio and high powered boxes on 'challenge' trucks and found them a pain as the steering was really heavy when trying to steer when not moving. I think the probklem was down to the flow of fluid being quite low at idle even if you open up the PAS pump. It might be better with a ZF74, though. IMHO I think light is probably more important than fewer turns lock to lock so I'd go for hydroboost instead.

Yeah, you have a point but if its really light it makes life a lot easier. Also, have a go in a car with quick ratio steering before you make your mind up - its not for everyone. Some love it, some hate it. Personally I think it'd be a pain having quick ratio steering for the really technical driving.

Got one on my RRC, it's of Overfinch origin. Where they got it/what's done to it I have no idea.

Can't say I've eve struggled to turn the wheels in mud/ruts to be honest.

One thing I will say is that it eats column UJs quicker than my previous RRC which was standard.