When to use extended bump stops?

Matt B

The only reason I can think of for using them would be if you fit lowered shock mounts (to gain down travel on the axle) as on the upward travel I guess it would be possible to bottom out the shock before hitting the standard bumpstops. I can't think of a reason for using them if all you fit is a lift as the upward limit would not be altered.

I think that makes sense but I'm not totally sure. :blink:

Pete

The only reason I can think of for using them would be if you fit lowered shock mounts (to gain down travel on the axle) as on the upward travel I guess it would be possible to bottom out the shock before hitting the standard bumpstops. I can't think of a reason for using them if all you fit is a lift as the upward limit would not be altered.

I think that makes sense but I'm not totally sure. :blink:

Pete

Thanks Pete that's kind of what I thought.

Matt

We lifted ours using longer, softer springs so they can compress more. With slightly larger tyres that means they can rub the ribs in the tub (and the seat mounting bolts which go through it) which makes a horrendous noise and can't be good for the tyres. As a temporary fix my brother put some 2"x2" wood between the chassis and bumpstop, and some longer bolts to hold the bumpstop on and it's worked so well that it's still there a year or so later pending a slightly neater attempt at the job!

Stopping shocks bottoming out is the other normal reason.

Richard