Twin tank set up

Hi Folks.

Building The Kitten we have decided to ditch the original fuel tank, and go for two smaller ones under each seat, they will contain about 33liters so 66 total gives us a good range.

My thoughts off the setup are as follows:

Fuel pick-up, in front off one tank and in back off the other, two smaller fuel pumps feeding a 2 liter swirvelpot where a larger pump feeds the engine from.

The reason for front and rear pickup is to avoid fuel starvation up and down hill with near empty tanks or would the pot last long enough :unsure:

I am however not sure about the return line from the swivel-pot, one to each tank or or or ahh I getting frustrated :(

Is it all being to complicated, should we just go for the old twin tank changeover tap and thats it.

I just don't want to dangling in a winch line with a engine driven winch on a more than 45 degree up hill stage and the engine dieing from fuel starvation :blink:

Any good ideas.... whats the experience?

Kind regards

Ole.

Carbs or EFI?

My setup (single tank with swirl pot) runs:

Tank pickup

Facet lift pump (carb type fuel pump) through filter

Into swirl pot

Out of swirl pot into EFi pump

HP Filter

Fuel rail

Pressure regulator

Return line teed into return port of swirl pot

Return line of swirl pot via a very small (motrorbike) filter to restrict return flow and keep the pot under a bit of positive pressure (thanks to TSD for that tip).

Never had a problem with it, and before the swirl pot it would suffer fuel starvation quite badly even under heavy cornering if the fuel was low.

One alternative I looked at was a "clunk" pickup in the tank, jet-skis, chainsaws etc. have them - basically a weighted brass bit on the end of a flexible hose as the pickup so it will dangle wherever the fuel runs to on slopes etc.

narrow tank :) 45 degrees is no problem then, 90 degrees is ok too

hey - if you are looking for a cheap and easy swirl pot Ole and you cant be bothered to make them - go to a plumbers shop and use the small tanks from a central heating systems (like the little red one in this picture)

trianco-aztec-classic.jpg

you can get them with a flange at the top thats big enough to mount in-tank pumps - a friend uses these and he buys them for about 30 euro ;) they're not heavy, maybe 3Kgs

Carbs or EFI?

My setup (single tank with swirl pot) runs:

Tank pickup

Facet lift pump (carb type fuel pump) through filter

Into swirl pot

Out of swirl pot into EFi pump

HP Filter

Fuel rail

Pressure regulator

Return line teed into return port of swirl pot

Return line of swirl pot via a very small (motorbike) filter to restrict return flow and keep the pot under a bit of positive pressure (thanks to TSD for that tip).

Never had a problem with it, and before the swirl pot it would suffer fuel starvation quite badly even under heavy cornering if the fuel was low.

One alternative I looked at was a "clunk" pickup in the tank, jet-skis, chainsaws etc. have them - basically a weighted brass bit on the end of a flexible hose as the pickup so it will dangle wherever the fuel runs to on slopes etc.

Hi Fridge.

Carb now later EFI either MS or DTA.

Sounds like a good setup the MC filter sounds like quite a smart thing, I have also been around the clunk thingy but ditched it because I didn't like the idea off anything bumping around in my fuel tank a hose that breaks away and you are F*****,

I wonder if it in anyway would be a problem to te the return so that both tanks received simultaneously return fuel?

Regards

Ole.

narrow tank :) 45 degrees is no problem then, 90 degrees is ok too

hey - if you are looking for a cheap and easy swirl pot Ole and you cant be bothered to make them - go to a plumbers shop and use the small tanks from a central heating systems (like the little red one in this picture)

trianco-aztec-classic.jpg

you can get them with a flange at the top thats big enough to mount in-tank pumps - a friend uses these and he buys them for about 30 euro ;) they're not heavy, maybe 3Kgs

Hi Jez.

Me tanks are the opposite wide and low 50cm long 32 wide 20 deep so they wont be OK in much off an incline in any direction unless fully topped up!!

The little red thing might even be considered as main tank thanks for the tip.

Regards

Ole