Defender 200tdi hypochondriac HELP!!!

My 200tdi is smoking.

I have reduced the boost to 11psi at full welly and made a little difference.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the head gasket is on the way out as it was using water. I used some holts wonderweld which has stopped this.

My suspicion is that where the oil goes through the gasket into the head, it has perished and is putting oil directly into a piston. The fact that this is intermittent only makes me more convinced of this.

I have changed the Injectors to good ones as a precaution and has made little difference. My turbo however does have some oil around its compression vanes- is this normal? and could this be causing the problem?

The other odd thing i notice about this engine is that sometimes when it isn't smoking, i get into traffic, it idles for a while and when pulling off, it smokes like the red arrows display team. Does anyone else experience this?

I am doing the timing belt tomorrow to make sure that the timing is correct and see if that makes a difference.

Might have to whip the head off at a later date and see if it is buggered.

What are the usual signs of a head going on a TDi??

The other odd thing i notice about this engine is that sometimes when it isn't smoking, i get into traffic, it idles for a while and when pulling off, it smokes like the red arrows display team. Does anyone else experience this?

this sounds like worn valve seals, but if you're suspecting the head gasket is damaged, then I'd take the the head off.

A little bit of oil on the compressor side of the turbo is normal...a blocked air filter will make it worse

I'll be watching this thread closly becuase I had that problem with the red arrows team smoke but I put it down to th fuel filter (just changed it and put a cheap one on) and its stopped happening now. But when it was happening it was intermitant.

to replace the valve oil seals you'll have to take the head off anyway...the only special tool you'll need is a spring compressor, I improvised one. Its not a big deal to get them replaced...you might find a thread showing how to do it.

The smoke you mention is oil or water?

Guest mortus

just a quick thread hijack....

when i had my air filter out the other day, it had LOADS of oil on it... do i need a new one?

and whats the rubber fish mouth thing for on your airbox?

just a quick thread hijack....

when i had my air filter out the other day, it had LOADS of oil on it... do i need a new one?

and whats the rubber fish mouth thing for on your airbox?

Dont know about the rubber fish mouth as mine is a series3, probably its a dust trap/drain like the ones on truck airboxes.

the airfilter soaked in oil... well i think only series vehicles should have oilsoaked filters no? So I would change it

what colour is this smoke?

Blue/blue grey for burning engine oil.

White and smells 'fuelly' for poor compression or incomplete combustion.

White and smells alcoholic and or musty for coolant in a cylinder.

Black for excess fueling or seriously restricted airway.

There's probably some more permutations, but thes are a start ;)

cheers,

wound out the smoke screw and it has cured it.

Adjusted the tappets too- one was at 0.60!

Must have been a combination of the overfuelling and not clearing the exhaust properly causing the problem.

Have moved my fuelpump diaphragm 90 deg's too- makes a hell of a difference!

Gw