Disco II - losing coolant

Anglo-Frenchman

Yep, it me again with another query. When I bought my 2002 Disco about 6 weeks ago one of things I noticed was that the coolant level was about 25mm below the level line on the header tank. I topped it up and thought no more about it.

After a recent long run I noticed a spot or two of wet under the engine when parked at home. Crawling underneath I found droplets of anti-freeze coloured water around the inspection hole beneath the engine and splattered back onto the diff and chassis. Because of the bl*ody lower engine shroud thing I cannot determine where this water is coming from and the level in the header tank has now dropped again. It may be a simple case of a split hose or something but I wondered if this a common issue with the DII and if there is a common culprit. Meanwhile, is it hard to get the bottom engine shroud off?

Thanks,

Ged

Mine lost coolant and it was the head gasket , once done still lost a vey small amount of coolant and was the end tank on the rad leaking can be seen from the top with a torch looking through the viscous fan.

The water pump is on the left hand front side of the engine under the air con pump.

The coolant is called OATS basically any red stuff will do the job looks terrible until mixed with water.

Lynall

OAT = Organic Acid Technology. It's supposed to last longer than the green stuff and is not poisonous. But don't leave it in too long or it turns into gluey jelly. There is a class action suit on in the States against Cadillac after numerous engines overheated etc.

Thanks a lot guys. I need to get the bloody lower engine shroud off to see where the pink leaky stuff is coming from.

Still not resolved the whiney noise at low revs but may have to bite the bullet and take it to my local dealer. I simply cannot believe that its meant to sound that way, oil spinner or ACE system.

Thanks.

Ged

Jus to clarify this I've added the picture with a big red arrow showing where I found this leak. The only way that you are going to to see this properly is by fully removing the pipe from the area. You will find the leak in the pits if you run a wire brush aong the pitted section you may lift a piece of rust and espose the hole.

I found that I was loosing coolant when I the engine was working hard. I investigated a leak before even thinking about the cylinder head issue. It's just turned 90 thou so I expect the next coolant loss I have may be the head gasket.

post-4066-1206443563_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the information. From your attached diagram it is clear that mine is not the same problem - well perhaps the same problem but different location. I have attached a photo taken today showing a droplet of coolant on the underside of the metal pipe and I think that is where it is leaking from. Can anyone tell me what this part name/number is please?

Ged

post-1058-1206450146_thumb.jpg

It is as it goes forward to the left of the pic and the foam in the cover is pressed against the pipe hence the external corrosion, i think its a lot more complicated than the pic shows as the two pipes pictyred are welded together.

Lynall

post-2192-1206557594_thumb.jpg