OT Help Please - Tyre/Wheel Identification

rtbarton

I have been given a small box trailer and would like some help identifying the hubs, wheels & tyres.

They tyres have 5-50 12 marked on them, they look like crossplys.

The PCD for the wheel is 4-1/2 inches

The hubcaps have the Vanden Plas logo on them

The hubs have integral brakedrums and are fitted to Indespension (type) units.

Any help much appreciated!

I have been given a small box trailer and would like some help identifying the hubs, wheels & tyres.

They tyres have 5-50 12 marked on them, they look like crossplys.

The PCD for the wheel is 4-1/2 inches

The hubcaps have the Vanden Plas logo on them

The hubs have integral brakedrums and are fitted to Indespension (type) units.

Any help much appreciated!

Probably mid 1980 Austin Metro Vanden Plas rear drums and wheels. I am pretty sure they had 12 inch wheels then.

Hope this helps'

Regards, Diff

Probably mid 1980 Austin Metro Vanden Plas rear drums and wheels. I am pretty sure they had 12 inch wheels then.

Hope this helps'

Regards, Diff

Not Metro (A-series or K -series) 'cos I've got loads of Metro bits, but Metro are 4 inch PCD and they have seperate brakedrums, these drums are part of the hub.

The VDP hubcaps may be a red herring.

Not Metro (A-series or K -series) 'cos I've got loads of Metro bits, but Metro are 4 inch PCD and they have seperate brakedrums, these drums are part of the hub.

The VDP hubcaps may be a red herring.

Hi Roger,

I see what you mean regarding the hub/drum. If all one piece, they are unlikely to be from a car. Probably from a trailer part manufacturer like these:

http://www.towsure.com/default.asp?t=5138

Can't help regarding the wheels if not metro, though perhaps they came with the trailer hubs. 12 inch is a bit uncommon.

Regards,

Diff

If not from a Metro the wheels could be from an old 1300 Austin/Morris Van den Plas. I am pretty certain they had 12 inch wheels in the early days.

That is a good point John, and at that age, they may have had one piece hub/drums.

If those Vanden plas hub caps are chromed metal Roger, then I think John T may have hit the nail on the head.

Regards,

Diff

Thanks guys.

I checked the Towsure catalogue and all their current wheels are 4 inch PCD.

The hubcaps are chromed with a plastic insert in the centre with the VP logo on it.

Hopefully the stub axles will be the same diameter as the Metro so I can fit my Metro wheels and hubs, sell the VDP wheels and retire on the proceeds :lol: