Head gasket or coolant hose leak??

Fish13

Hi Folks,

I've been losing coolant and have had my coolant system pressurising for the past few days but have no mayonnaise or water from the exhaust like I had when my head gaskets went before.

This evening coolant was p*ssing out of the engine and I found that the short hose from the back of the water pump to the rail on top of the rocker cover was split. Coolant has been flowing out of this.

Question - can a LEAK in a coolant hose cause air to be sucked in and hence pressurise? Or do people think that my head gaskets have indeed gone and the pressure has caused a hose to burst? My hopeful thinking is that if no hose had burst and my gaskets had gone then it would lose coolant out of the overflow tank?

Thoughts please!?

Replace the hose then see what happens.

There will be some pressure in the cooling system. The coolant expands as it gets hot. That is normal.

What is not normal is when it starts blowing water out of the overflow radiator - assuming the cap is in good order & not in need of replacement AND/OR the system is not overfilled.

That suggests failed head gasket or cylinder liner issues.