Immobiliser issue

I have an L reg 90 CSW which appears to have the factory fitted immobiliser system. There is a Land Rover fob and button to disarm the immobiliser. Only trouble is it isn't disarming and so I can't start the vehicle. The battery on the immobiliser fob seems ok - or at least the little red light on it shines when the button is pressed. But when I turn the ignition on the vehicle the dash lights come on but the starter motor doesn't kick in. I think the immobiliser is playing up (although I guess it might be something else). Main vehicle battery is fullycharged.

Any suggestions would be great as it is a beached whale at moment.

Guest diesel_jim

When you press the button on the fob, do the indicators flash?

if not, then the fob isn't working properly

if the indicators do flash, when you turn the key to "start" do you hear any clicking? (ie starter, or under the LH seat)????

if so, it could be the spider unit playing up. bogmonster did a very thorough tech article on how to strip and sort it out, although on a defender it's in a small box riveted into the battery box (under the LH seat)

When you press the button on the fob, do the indicators flash?

if not, then the fob isn't working properly

if the indicators do flash, when you turn the key to "start" do you hear any clicking? (ie starter, or under the LH seat)????

if so, it could be the spider unit playing up. bogmonster did a very thorough tech article on how to strip and sort it out, although on a defender it's in a small box riveted into the battery box (under the LH seat)

Thanks Jim

I have been having a bit of a fiddle about and now suspect it is the starter motor that is AWOL. There does appear to be power feeding to the starter but nothing from it. Question now is how on earth do you get a starter out of a 200tdi. There doesnt seem to be any room to shift it. Does the turbo and exhaust need to come off ? - surely not !

Just drop the down-pipe off the turbo and remove the bottom inter-cooler hose and you can see the job OK. just about struggle through. A make-up mirror and a torch are both handy tools.

Chris

Hmm. Now where could this mis-quote get used

And more usefully....

Could you jump the main live over to the solenoid to see if the unit goes "click----whizz". Make sure the car is out of gear though.