VC and ETC

Chriso

Dear All,

I have driven a friend's Rangy classic with auto box and ETC off road and been really impressed with it. Combined with air suspension the Rangy seems to drive effortlessly where my Disco Manual struggles.

Just a question really: If the ETC progressively and instantly prevents wheel spin by braking that wheel, when will the VC ever lock up? Disco 2s had no (or optional) locking centre diff so effective was the ETC.

Is it because the classic only has two channel ETC? If so what about the design of the P38a?

Thank you

Chris.

Dear All,

I have driven a friend's Rangy classic with auto box and ETC off road and been really impressed with it. Combined with air suspension the Rangy seems to drive effortlessly where my Disco Manual struggles.

Just a question really: If the ETC progressively and instantly prevents wheel spin by braking that wheel, when will the VC ever lock up? Disco 2s had no (or optional) locking centre diff so effective was the ETC.

Is it because the classic only has two channel ETC? If so what about the design of the P38a?

Thank you

Chris.

As far as I could tell on mine the classic ETC kicked in when the back wheels were spinning at different speeds. I don't think it worries about front rear differences, it leaves that to the VC (which also does and excellent job). I found it very effective too - the Discovery I have now requires a bit more thought (manual centre diff and no ETC).

I think the P38a came with either a similar two channel system or a full four channel ETC. Possibly without any ETC as well.