Considering a Disco TD5

daffyduck

Hey Guys and Girls

After much consideration I am now looking to purchase a Disco II TD5. One quick question really what to look out for, are there the similar issues to look for with the TDI's? Tin worm in the same places, rear wheel arches, front inner wings, rear cross member, boot floor?

I am already aware that the engine wiring loom plug needs to be checked for oil ingress, but are there any others?

Thanks so much for you time on this, very much appreciated.

Jason

ps. For road tax reasons I am going to be looking for a pre march 2001 registered TD5!

I have to say I have not seen any seriously rotten Td5 Discoverys (yet)

The rear wheel arches inside the second row door aperture are a different design with no seam so they do not rot at the seam because it is not there!

The only real corrosion on mine (2002) is a lot of light surface rust on the chassis but this is down to poor undershield and I have 20L of Waxoyl waiting to take care of that when I get one of these:

post-33-1206978347_thumb.jpg

:)

Just a note - I went for a 5 seat GS as the best equipt non-air suspension model.

Look for:

Chassis surface rust, get the dealer to waxoil it if you go dealer

Service history, there's a lot of fluids in a D2 to change if it needs a full service

Oil in the ECU loom you mentioned

Antifreeze mix and level - it should be bright pink and up to level, they use water and can blow head gaskets if abused

Interior wear on higher mileage vehicles

Other than that all the normal checks apply, condition and level of fluids, damage, clunks and bangs, etc....