td5 diesel smell

ltwt1981

Got a faint diesel smell on stopping, seems to be in the area of the fuel pressure regulator.

Will it be the unit itself or is it worth changing the gasket and O ring.

It seems a bit awkward to get at anyway so may be worth changing completely.

No real sign of a leak but I know its there so will I assume omly get worse.

just had mine changed last weekend,

if you're going to the trouble of removing the regulator to replace the O seal, might as well bung on a new regulator for the extra £70!!!

bloke who did mine said the easiest way to change them is to remove the gearbox crossmember and go in from underneath, he says its a sh*t of a job whatever way you do it, not something you want to do twice - so false economy to just replace the seal.

Fuel cooler can be clearly seen with the top engine cover removed, to change the reg remove top engine cover lay on the engine one hand/arm under the inlet manifold and the other from in top, head torch essential, the 3 bolts that hold it to the head are 10mm head size and are tight, 6 sided socket a must do not use 12 point socket!, the pipe fittings are 14mm size spanner, once cracked use a 15mm spanner to spin them off as space is tight, took me about an hour on my first and only on eso far!

No 0-ring just a steel plate gasket, costs about £1.

Lynall

Changed 2 in the last 2 weeks. 10 mins max to remove head cover, and about 10-20 mins to remove regulator.

From experience, I would remove the O ring and the strainer, mine was full of fluff, virtually blocking it up.

I think it was paper from the filter.

Has anyone any experience in re-furbing the regulators ? It appears that there is only an O ring internally to replace ?