Series One 80 Engine Conversion Help!!

drovers

Please advise,

I have a good solid Series 1, which is functional. New chassis/new bulk head /Wiring/ Brakes/ Suspension etc..

However the engine is the weak point. :angry:

I've looked at rebuild cost and decided that investigating in a engine conversion may be cheaper....

As budget is now low!

Can someone tell me what options are good and straight forward for a 1952 S1 80 inch engine conversion.

Or should I just save up and bite the bullet and rebuild the 2.0 ltr?? :blink:

I was originally going for the quick cheap fix. :rolleyes:

If anyone has a sound genuine S1 2.0 ltr engine 4 sale, whats your pric£... I might be dreaming on that one but whats out there! :wacko:

Anyway your comments/experince would be greatly apprechicated :)

Many thanks

Mike

I rebuilt a 2-litre spread bore engine in a 1951 S1 and it wasn't that expensive - even though I replaced the pistons, etc.

What's wrong with your engine?

A 2.25 petrol conversion isn't too difficult and you can pick one of these engines up quite cheaply.

Les.

I rebuilt a 2-litre spread bore engine in a 1951 S1 and it wasn't that expensive - even though I replaced the pistons, etc.

What's wrong with your engine?

A 2.25 petrol conversion isn't too difficult and you can pick one of these engines up quite cheaply.

Les.

Hi Les

My engine was originaly siezed, and this was freed up by pouring diesel down the bores and going down the local cider house for a week!

After, which the whole vehicle was chassis stripped, repaired, rear section replaced and Light weight cross member replaced, sorted until solid. Degreased and painted.

A new bulk head was fitted, wiring loom/Springs Shocks/All Brakes replaced Master Cylinder included etc..

Sorrrrry.. Whats wrong with the engine was the question!! (Got a bit passionate re all work done...Oh by the by resprayed all the panels...)

"Oh shut up Drovers and answer the god dam question!! "

Answer.

It smokes on start up and on prolonged running when accelerating.

The Carb is always running rich , so oil smoke and petrol fumes flow from exzaust.

I rebuilt the carb which was still shagged due to the butterfly valve shaft being shafted within the ali casting, then I found a Firm that supplied BRAND NEW Solexs for series one for £150!

Now it just smokes blue oil, not petrol, and idles like a dream!.(Until the plugs foul and need a clean!)

There is a "tick" on cylender No.1 when ideling this goes away when reved.. I dont know what this is yet! Lazy cam follower??

But with new points and valve gaps adjusted correctly (and reseated) the vehicle is under powered.BUT I don't get a lot of pressure coming from the oil filler..I.E gasses are blowing past the pistons and pressurising the crank.. I got confussed sussing out what was wrong with this engine.

Plus the cost of spares and my time I thought of just swapping the motor. I do admit that I am good on chassis/running gear and electircs but not so much on engine stuff!.

OH ...forgot to mention this since its been stationary for a year ..its gone and stuck its self in 4 wheel drive. But I been here before when I had a series 1 when I was 19... and it was seized rods or a broken pin..Hopefully! If you know other reasons pls advise!!

Many thanks for your ears!!!!!

Any thoughts/solutions always greatfully acceppted!

Regards

Mike

MD of TATA.......Yeah Right!.. why can't we keep LR and Jag a British thing? Oh that's another post........Sigh!!! :o

post-6824-1207773535_thumb.jpg

Use some of this stuff in your engine - if the smoke goes away, then your bores/pistons/rings are worn. If the smoke stays, then valve guides or seals. Once you know the problem then you can weight up your options of repair or replace.

Holts piston seal.

post-2-1207811481_thumb.jpg

Les.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Les and 80 Inch

Thanks for the advise and sorry for the delay in replying,

I been out shopping ..... Holts Piston Seal as suggested, you were right it stopped smoking ;) , so time for a rebore?

It's quite nice not smoking for a change! but I assume this Piston Seal is short term bodging stuff?

Went round the roads with no blue smoke!, even went a bit faster than norm just to celebrate ..all of 45MPH! anyway on the way back.. got white smoke :o .. head gasket!

So its rebuild time now or engine swap.

"Anyone got a "Mint" S1 2.0ltr Petrol for sale??!!! :rolleyes: "

Thanks again for your help and advise

Mike