Coil Supply Voltage

Guest weeble

Guest weeble

Help please,

Does anybody know what the supply voltage to the ignition coil on a 1987 Range Rover is supposed to be?. Some data books say its supposed to be 11 volts with a ballast resistor and others say battery voltage.

The distributor is a type with a 9em module fitted to the side.

Just had a look at manual (Haynes) and it seems that up to 1986 a ballast resistor was fitted so the coil would be 6V or 9V typically.

1986 onwards does not show a ballast resistor but does show a 'constant energy unit' whatever that is so it it could be 6,9 or 12 volt coil.???

1989 onwards looks like it will be a 12 volt coil no ballast resistor.

Beware that the fuel injected engines will have a resistor on the '-' coil terminal that feeds the ECU typically 7K Ohms (its a small part about 10mmx10mmx3mm) fitted approx' 6" up the loom from the coil, not to be confused with a ballast resistor that would connect to the '+' coil terminal.

hi guys im having a problem with mine too mine's a 1986 efi and ive got the older style wing mounted ignition amplifier that you talking about are these a common failure as mines got new coil new cap leads and rotor arm and still wont start its driving me mad