Just how Difficult ?

landi41

Undoing lots of rusty bolts, lots of swearing, lots of WD40, not a few skinned knuckles and bashed elbows, and possibly the odd sense of humour failure :lol:

Seriously, I guess if they are the same type, age and engine it would not be too bad, there aren't that many body mounts and other than that it is just steering, wiring and plumbing and the gearshift etc if it is an auto. Are you using the drivetrain that originally went with the body, or is it a rolling chassis complete with everything fitted?

Undoing lots of rusty bolts, lots of swearing, lots of WD40, not a few skinned knuckles and bashed elbows, and possibly the odd sense of humour failure :lol:

Seriously, I guess if they are the same type, age and engine it would not be too bad, there aren't that many body mounts and other than that it is just steering, wiring and plumbing and the gearshift etc if it is an auto. Are you using the drivetrain that originally went with the body, or is it a rolling chassis complete with everything fitted?

Jasus Stephen; I really wish i knew what i wanted to do .....Just bought an excellent front end damaged 1997 Disco here, I think i'll take the cowards route out here and just replace what i have to....such as engine, alarm ECU, engine computer, etc....all the good stuff

Thanks for your comments......

Its not actually that difficult. Problem I had was that I fitted a 300 Series Diesel chassis to a 200 Series V8i. The hardest part was rewiring the engine. But, now I know more it's pretty simple. From what I remember there are 14 body mountnigs to be undone plus brake lines, steering etc. We disconnected everything and lifted the body using jack and some plasterers scaffold (H&S didn't come into it :P ). We then dropped the chassis onto it's discs and simply rolled it out from under the body (engine still in the car). It would be easier to take the engine out and refit it afterwards (don't need to lift the body as high) but we couldn't be bothered. We then just rolled the chassis under the doner body and refitted everything. As I said the hardest part was the rewiring as we swapped from Diesel to Petrol. But, when you think about it the only difference is the engine loom. Take out the Diesel one and fit the Petrol one, simple.

Trouble I had was that I didn't have much tmie so spoke to a Land Rover eletrician about it and he said it can't be done as the engine was not designed for the nody! WTF. Eventually got it rewired and it's been running fine since.

HTH

Ivan

I have just ripped the body off a 200tdi this morning, easy with forlkift and grinder.

We just cur thtoug all the wiring plumbing etc and i thought halfway through that it would be quite time consuming to 're body' a chassis because you need to sympathetically disconnect all the plumbing etc.