8 x 16 steel rims

Hi guys,

I have just bought my first land rover, its a 1997 300tdi hard top, and without thinking I bought a set of 8x16 modulars fitted with wintercat radial sst 255/65/R16 tyres.

A couple of questions, can these tyres be used on the road? The reason I ask is that the tyres have small holes in the tread for putting studs in.

And will I have any problems with the tyres rubbing anywhere?

If I need to replace the tyres what would you recommend for 95% road with a little bit of light off road?

My land rover is totally standard if this helps.

thanks in advance

nick

Hi

Welcome to the forum

A friend of mine has those on his 90 (not sure what size) he says they're great on the road and quite good at the greelaning he's done so far, until he ripped on open on a rock :rolleyes:

As for the stud holes, don't worry about it they are a "winter tyre" by the looks of it, but I know my old Kumho' had the holes and I think my BFG Mud Terrains have them too.

255/65/R16 will fit fine on a standard 90, my BFG's are 265/75/R16 and only just rub in the arches on full artriculation, my suspension is completely standard too.

Have fun, (Western should be along shortly to do his "new user bit" :P )

SPT

Hi guys,

I have just bought my first land rover, its a 1997 300tdi hard top, and without thinking I bought a set of 8x16 modulars fitted with wintercat radial sst 255/65/R16 tyres.

A couple of questions, can these tyres be used on the road? The reason I ask is that the tyres have small holes in the tread for putting studs in.

And will I have any problems with the tyres rubbing anywhere?

If I need to replace the tyres what would you recommend for 95% road with a little bit of light off road?

My land rover is totally standard if this helps.

thanks in advance

nick

They should be fine on road as said, if a little small for a 90!

If you want a decent all rounder then look at the General Grabber AT2. I am not sure if you would get 235/85R16 onto 8" wide rims, you'd need to check this is within the limits, but 265/75R16 would be another option.

Thanks SPT & BG,

Appriciate the advice & the welcome,

You know what its like, you buy a new vehicle and start spending without first finding out if stuff fits!! lol

In future I'll try and control myself and ask on here first!! :)