What GPS / Satnav do you use when out and about?

TJN

If you're thinking of PDA sized device... the HP Ipaq 314 is a normal road navigator, with a 800 x 480 resolution screen.

The CE version of OziExplorer runs really nicely, the GPS is as good as the SiRF *3 (about as good as it gets in consumer sets), and it can read SD cards up to at least 4Gb (probably 16Gb) so you can install *loads* of maps. Cost was about £160 new.

Hi

I'm using a Garmin Quest 2 for offroad, Geocaching, you name it. I took this one because its "water tight" and rough, small and has a long battery life - 20 hours, it also

has the feature of ploting coodinates and then drive the straight line to.

before that i had a Garmin GPS V deluxe - same thing as the Quest 2 just older, but a good unit for small money now, secondhand though.

I also use Tomtom on my smartphone, with af bluetooth GPS reciever, works super, but doesn't like rain and so on.

Anders

I have a pda +CF gps receiver (HP hx4700 since 2004 - no longer in production). I also had a Garmin 276C. Since Garmin made pda software avaible, I sold the 276C 'cause it became useless to me.

The advantages I see having a pda:

- you can have access to all kinds of gps navigation: garmin road/topo maps, on road vector maps, raster maps .... you name it, you can have it.

- it's small enough to fit your shorts pockets in the summer (or wife's purse :P)

- easy to hide it in the vehicle or remove it out of site (for security reasons - unless your vehicle is an ambulance, of course :))

- the ability to have other useful software handy

- you can have 2 or 3 gps apps running at the same time

Sometimes I use the laptop linked (bluetooth) to the pda (or with another gps receiver) to have my position tracked in Google Earth (sometimes a satellite picture can say more than 1000 gps devices).

By the way, the best gps road/track and topo map for Morocco (not routable yet) is here: http://www.island-olaf.de/travel/marokko/gps.html and it's free.

I use an O2 XDA PDA and Copilot live which has the software and the receiver in the package.

GPS receiver is small enough to hang around your neck or pop into your shirt pocket and the PDA is also my mobile phone, email, wireless, calendar, web browsing, syncs with my work Exchange server etc etc.

Means that the set up gets used all the time and is small and handy enough to take when I go walking.

h814.jpg

and the receiver:

113d_1.JPG

mad

O2 XDA Orbit same as above but built in gps with both tomtom & memorymap