shifting to diff lock

gkm24

My 96 Disco V8 auto will shift into low range ok ish but I am unable to push the selector to the left to lock the diff either in high or low range. is this a regular occurance? I do'nt think it has ever been off road but need to lock it when launching my boat. If the lever is seized, what is the best method to use to get it working again? Thanks.

lots of wd40 and plenty of wiggling <_<:ph34r:

dont rush it, give it a couple of days.

If you want to give it a thorough job, then take out the centre console which gives you direct access to the top of the unit and the bar which will be seized. Coat in grease and gently work it loose.

Once it's working again, wobble it back and forth regularly to keep it working.

firstly, hi from newbe drillerjoskin (aka steve)!

had the very same problem myself today, we've just picked up a 97 v8 disco from london, never used off road, never used low range etc etc,

this worked for me; pop the bottom off the leather gaiter and unscrew the knob off the top,

use a small screw driver to push between the stick and the rubber boot(this will enable you to get the extension tube from your wd40 right into where it counts, otherwise you can squirt away all you like but it will just run down the side of the boot and away down the side of the box),

next insert the extension tube into the gap made by your little screwdriver and gently "really gently else it will come back at ya" start to fill the rubber boot up with penno,

i topped it up twice, leaving an hour or so inbetween,

then as said before gently start your wiggling,

if you leave the knob and gaiter off whilst doing this it will stop the leather stinking of wd, and the amount of pressure you can excert on whats left of the stick shouldn't be enough to damage anything!

from no movement at all to smoothly getting all the gates took a good half hour of constantly working it,

finally i used a syringe with a piece of washer jet hose glued on it to squirt some silkolene red grease in there which should stop it happening again, saying that, it will be used alot more frequently with its new owner !!

hope this is some help, cheers dj. :D

Nope, definately an LT230 on the Discovery auto.

I have just pulled mine out to get the duff Auto box out and found that the housing the lever sits in was full of water which was causing the shaft to rust and therefore seize up (I had the same problem). I will be cleaning and re-greaseing mine before it all goes back together.

Pete.