Electrical gremlins!

Paul64

I have a 1994 Defender 110. Last week I had a winch installed and the starter motor changed two days later. Since then whenever I indicate to the left or flash the headlamps (both switches to left side of console) the windscreen wiper activates also x1. This has never happened before and just seems to be too big a coincidence not to be related to this recent work. To be honest, I cannot remember the problem occurring after the winch installation. It seems to be related to the starter change.

Any ideas, because it is driving me mad!

Cheers,

Paul

Sounds like an earth fault. Make sure the earth lead between the starter mounting bolt and the chassis has been refitted and is clean and tight. Also check the earth point located on the drivers side of the upper bulkhead in the engine bay ( 4 or 5 wires with ring terminals screwed to the bulkhead).

Well, there are two big connectors on the starter which I presume are pos + neg and one small white a red cable above the two big connectors. Had a look with mirror on a metal pole. Sparks everywhere! Anyway the red and white wire slipped off, not tight at all. Can't get it back on as can't see naff all and can't get my hand in. I take it that with that off you have nothing? Well I haven't anyway. I will have another go in the morning as it is raining now.

Guest diesel_jim

On the starter, the red/white is the (smaller) cable that connects to the spade terminal on the starter solenoid, it's connected to the ignition switch, so when you turn the key to "start" it becomes live.

the other cables should bolt together onto the terminal on the starter... one will be from the alternator, one will be from the battery (12V +ve) and the other will supply various parts of the vehicles electrics.

the earth goes through the engine block (via a cable usually bolted to the gearbox)

Starter connections are as jim said above. The earth lead at the gear box earths the engine block/transmission straight back to the battery, but the body electrics require an earth path from the body via the chassis (where they bolt together) and then to the engine block, the chassis to engine block earth runs between the tag on the chassis that the n/s inner wing bolts to and the lower starter motor mounting bolt.

Try running a lead from the battery earth post to a good clean point on the bulkhead and see if this cures the problem. This will confirm that you have a missing/poor earth somwhere between the two.

Got it running again by attaching the red/white cable back on. What a faff that was! However, wipers still come on with lights, so I will check earth out as you say in the morning. Why would it suddenly start with a problem like this now when starter changed? Something disturbed? I also found what looks like an earth point at front of engine block. Not much to it though. I was expecting something much more substantial.

Well you said the problem seemed to start after the starter was replaced, the earth lead attaches to one of the starter mounting bolts, it's difficult to see and is often forgoten when refitting, that's why i sugested it may be the cause.

Be aware though that it may have been moved/replaced in the past. The important thing is that you have a good earths from the bulkhead/engine/chassis to battery SOMEWHERE.

The engine to chassis earth often fails on Discoverys, though it still looks OK, leading to the engine earthing via the hand brake cable melting the nylon liner in the process.

Did you try running a new earth from the battery to the bulkhead as a check ?

If cleaning the earths has improved matters it looks like you're on the right lines.

No, not tried that yet, but will, thanks. Paul

Well I checked out as much as I could. Then I had to get the help in of an auto electrician. He had it for a morning and admitted he was baffled. Whilst it was in I was reading the other electrical gremlin thread on here so mentioned Simonr's comment about the earth above the clutch pedal on the bulkhead. Turned out that was the problem!

Cheers,

Paul

• 4 months later...

During his week over here David my cousin was investigating and repairing my electrical gremlins! He removed all old unnecessary cabling and cut away approximately 20 metres of the stuff! My most annoying problem with the windscreen wipers coming on when flicking the button for the headlights has now gone.

This photo is of the old cables that David removed

DSC07411600x450-1.jpg

Here is a photo of David hard at work!

DSC07402600x450.jpg