Another electrical Gremilins thread

BigMac1

Right, the vehicle, 2.5TD 90.

I was out offroading today and got stuck in a deepish muddy water hole. I dipped the clutch to try reversing out after two or three attempts before and it cut out immediately. No dash lights would come on. The battery was fine, 13.4 volts, and I tried a jump lead from the negative on the battery to the engine to rule out a bad earth.

Can't seem to find a fuse blown either. I'm guessing it's something to do with the positive lead from the battery? Anyone experienced this problem before?

In the end we put a live to the fuel solenoid, bump started it and drove 15 miles with no lights or wipers etc. Needs must I'm afriad.

Mechanical stuff I find easy, electrical stuff baffles me so any help appreciated. Might give the auto electrician we use at work a call if I'm unsucessful.

Cheers

Mick

the problem could be with the earth to the body, or the live to the starter and alternator, or a few other places in fact. Nothing a multimeter won't tell you in a few minutes though.

Diesels will run with no earth, and even no battery, if the alternator can supply a voltage to the stop solenoid, even if the rest of the vehicle has no power.

I'd check all the earth straps, and the man supply cables, for starters.

On the engine side of the bulkhead, above and to the right of the clutch pedal there is a stud which provides the master earth for everything.

Try removing the nut, cleaning all the ring terminals and replacing. It is the most common cause of 'mystery' impossible electrical problems!

Si

Haha, Sorted it!

The power cable from the starter to the ignition feed had come off! not sure how it had done this as it's a ring terminal and has been starting fine. Must have been my fult when I changed the starter! :blush:

Thanks for the above help guys!

Mick