Mantec Wading kit

I have a Safari snorkel fitted to the RHS of my LHD Landrover Defender.

I’m in the process of fitting a Mantec wader kit. Have got to the point where the front-axle breather tube and two engine-block breather-tube extensions are to be fitted either along the rear-outside of the snorkel or led through “a convenient grommet” (can’t see a convenient one) to the inside of the vehicle and thence to a high point within the vehicle. ( …….. “as you prefer”, say the Mantec fitting instructions.

As for the rear-axle breather, this has to be led to a high point inside the vehicle.

Have been told that engine breather tubes inside the vehicle will result in engine-oil smells coming inside, which seems a reasonable point. (Is it true?) Another point is that inside, at the RHS front, there seems to be no obvious way of leading the three tubes to a high point. How could three tubes be fitted snugly, conveniently and in a way that looked good along the inside of the roof-support at the right front corner??? (I don’t think they could.)

I’d like to hear from anyone who’s fitted this Mantec kit, with any advice. Should I fit the breather tubes inside or out, and if outside, how best to fit them to the rear of the snorkel?

I have a Safari snorkel fitted to the RHS of my LHD Landrover Defender.

I’m in the process of fitting a Mantec wader kit. Have got to the point where the front-axle breather tube and two engine-block breather-tube extensions are to be fitted either along the rear-outside of the snorkel or led through “a convenient grommet” (can’t see a convenient one) to the inside of the vehicle and thence to a high point within the vehicle. ( …….. “as you prefer”, say the Mantec fitting instructions.

As for the rear-axle breather, this has to be led to a high point inside the vehicle.

Have been told that engine breather tubes inside the vehicle will result in engine-oil smells coming inside, which seems a reasonable point. (Is it true?) Another point is that inside, at the RHS front, there seems to be no obvious way of leading the three tubes to a high point. How could three tubes be fitted snugly, conveniently and in a way that looked good along the inside of the roof-support at the right front corner??? (I don’t think they could.)

I’d like to hear from anyone who’s fitted this Mantec kit, with any advice. Should I fit the breather tubes inside or out, and if outside, how best to fit them to the rear of the snorkel?

I dont have a Mantec wading kit but when i raised mine I took them up the back of the snorkle, I dont think i would fit them inside though.

How long is the tube for the rear axle is it long enough to reach all the way to the snorkle along the chassis and up?

Dave.

Heres a piccy, all my breathers come into a manifold im not sure if yours is the same and then all i have done it bring it up alongside the snorkle......again yours might be different in that your snorkle comes of the side of the wing and mine comes throught the top.

what you could possibly do is drill a small hole in either the top of the wing or maybe along side your snorkle put a rubber wiring gromit in and then follow the snorkle up from there.

My rear breather just follows the chassis rail and then up into the engine bay and joins the others...remember to make sure that it misses all the mooving parts and can move plenty with the suspenion.

snorkle.jpg

Dave.

My breather kit contained a 4 into 1 fitting which sits at the bulkhead behind the engine. One pipe then comes out under the rear of the bonnet. Build quality being so good I could easily pass the pipe under without having to drill anything.

Like Dave I then ran the pipe ip the back of the snorkel.

On the Safari there is a slit in the back of the top piece where the larg jubilee clip holds the top to the main snorkel tube. I used a round file to widen the slit slightly so I could push the breather pipe under the jubilee clip and into the top of the snorkel. This makes the end look tidy.

The gap under the rear of my bonnet is so large I'm going to run a wiring loom up the snorkel to spot lights as well.

If your kit doesn't have a 4 into 1 connector I'm sure you will be able to find one as these seem to be standard pipe fittings. These guys do a 2 into 1 http://www.hydralectric.co.uk/detail.templ...umbing+Fittings and these may be able to help http://www.johnguest.com/Catalogues/UK_SpeedfitAir.pdf.

You could also try Hyphose. I bought all of the components to make up a breather kit from them for my Discovery. They do 2 into 1 connectors which are good quality. They also, I believe, do manifolds for 3 or 4 into 1, which you could mount on the bulkhead (which I now need to get for mine).