Checking the timing without having a pointer

CaptainBlue

I have an engine from a lightweight (Series III petrol 2286cc 3-bearing) engine no. 95103254E fitted in my standard series 3 SWB 1976.

I don’t have any pointer on the engine front, I do have a mark on the pulley. I can’t see that I have any plate on the flywheel to check the timing like there was an earlier diesel engines.

How do I check the timing on this engine ? <_<

there are more than one

One way is remove spark plug on number one , use length of rod (or screwdriver slim) turn engine over manually untill

the probe stops moving up. make mark on front pully that lines up with suitable pointer or another mark on front cover.

turn engine backwards untill probe stops moving up again. mark pully again . bisect between the two marks you made this will give you tdc . This will give you a datum to mark off relevant degrees that you need to be able to refernce to time either dynamically or static. HTSH

OK, will sort it all out tomorrow. When I'm confident that I've found TDC and made a mark on the front of the engine lining up with the mark on the pulley, looking at the engine head on, which side of the mark is towards 3 degrees and which side 6 degrees ?

Thanks.

/Mark