Filling Petrol in my Diesel td5

:blink: Yes you read that right!! :ph34r: I did manage to fill the tank fully to the brim.. some 70 litres if I can remember and drove a 20km journey... Well I found this out the following morning when the car would not start and deliberate attempts got some whitish smoke coming out. Well.. I was winched and I had to deliver the car to a mechanic in my area to suck the petrol out of the tank and got things in order. I feel very DUMB actually.. :blink::ph34r::moglite:

Will this have any consequencies on the engine? Anyone been into this? Is is worse when one fill diesel into petrol cars? :(

not sure with the td5's but usually a change of filter, flush with some diesel treatment (forte or similar) and things should be fine.

newer hdi type engines should not be run if even the smallest amount of petrol is in the system, as it kills the in tank pump, fuel lines and injectors - big repair bills.

Much worse the other way round (diesel in a petrol car) IIRC.

You should be fine. A friend of mine did it to her car recently and the mechanic who helped her out suggested the most damage done was to her reputation.

:huh: On my knees I prayed. "Lord just do not save me... The defender's life is more worthier than mine..." Folks this time I did not find time to drain it myself. A nearby MERCHANIC AND HIS FITTER.. Drained it all and bled it. :blink: I guess this is it... I will never fill petrol in my diesel car.....I wish I could write this 20 times.... £120 to the Mechs.. £80 for the petrol I filled. I guess all the prosedures mentioned here were applied. Thanks for your support and help.

It felt good to get it out of the system....Thanks for the immense help... :rolleyes:

I remember in the distant years of my youth, filling an aged 850cc Mini with diesel (I was having a row on the forecourt with my then girl friend and was distracted - thats my excuse anyway). When I noticed my error, I sheepishly paid, then quickly drove the Mini back to my flat (about 400yards). I drained the tank into an assortment of lemonade bottles and house hold containers then added some petrol. The poor wee beast coughed and spluttered and blew out lots of white smoke but came through the ordeal unscathed. At the time, a friend of mine ran an old 5 or 6 ton Mercedes van, he took the contaminated fuel and just poured it in to the tank with no concern at all, apparently the van suffered no ill effects either.

Whilst neither of these vehicle boasted the latest in engine technology they both seemed unharmed. From what I understand diesel has lubricating qualities that petrol doesn't have. I don't know if that the main cause for alarm but fingers crossed for you. Hope everything turns out ok.