Front Toyota propshaft onto lr transfer box and diff

Ok,

I'll admit to having already bought a front Toyota Hilux Surf propshaft with double cardan joint.

Cheap so couldn't resist.

Here's the situation 3.9 V8 borg warner transfer box with VC

Has anyone done this front proshaft mod without putting the toy axles on as well?

This is in preparation to get the front end to flex some more.

Thanks

Mark

Guest diesel_jim

Yes, but not me.

there is a place in Chiseldon, just by J15 M4 that does proshaft balancing and building. when i had a prop balanced a gew years back the chap was telling me about using a Toyota double CV shaft for LR's, he reckoned they were much stronger and more durable.

i'll dig out his number tomorrow if you need it, unless uncles Les has it handy?

Many people (not I) have fitted toyota diff centres to rover housings. From memory the pinion flange has to be modified a little to suit the rover u-joint.

So it should be possible to modify the rover flange to suit the toyota joint.

The toyota double cardan joint is a strong unit. And the yokes can be clearanced to operate at large angles.

post-62-1209684305_thumb.jpg

post-62-1209684319_thumb.jpg

post-62-1209684340_thumb.jpg

I've just carried out the operation the other way round - LR prop on to Toyota diff. I just made up a 12mm thick spacer with the LR hole spacing (including female register and 5/16 UNF tapped holes) on one side and the Toyota hole spacing on the other side (including male register and M10 tapped holes). Then just bolted it up - easy.

I can't see why this wouldn't work the other way round, but you would need a spacer both ends, reducing the length available for the prop, presuming you're running LR diff and LR tranfer box.

Thanks Guys,

Food for thought there.

I guess the first thing I need to check is overall length between the 2.

I really did take a bit of a leap in the dark with it.

It has been done though, which fills me with hope.

A look at spacers first then.

RR