Rockwell vs Simca Portal Axles

6cyltdi

Right guys, i've been looking at Simca portal axles from the Sumb coming in at £900 for 1 complete front, 1 complete rear and a second rear centre to give me a locking diff in the front price includes postage on two pallets......

Then there are the Rockwell portals from the Renault TRM 2000 Front axle £900 with no diff lock and rear £750 these are a bit closer to home so would be collection and no delivery... There is a Renault TRM 2000 not to far from me i'm going to go and poke around at in the next week before making a decision....

Does anyone know much about the weight, ratios and all the gubbins of the Rockwell portals how easy/difficult to stick to a landrover....?

And what about the torque tube vs prop-shaft issue....?

There doesn't seem to be a hell of alot of information on these applications available anywhere....

Spares availability is good for either axle, it has to be one or the other and will be purchased in the next week to two weeks.....?

The only other thing was the estate that has the renault mentioned there was a scrap one lieing in a farmers field rotting away which i'm going to try find and see if a bargain is possible....?

Any information, thoughts, theorys, tech stuff anything would be appreciated thanks.........

I still feel myself swinging more to the SIMCA axles as they're what i have looked into most and seem to be most cost effective, even with effectivley buying three axles too gain locking diffs front and rear they come in under a grand, Mog U1300's look like they'd need alot of work with the diff off-sets so think i'll give them a miss, still quite interested in the Rockwells tho even at £1600 they look huge and seem easyer to adapt my rims to fit the problem is getting a second rear diff for the front axle....

I have a 10" offset on 15"x13" rims so will need crazy adaptors for the drums on the simcas and will have to guard the drop boxes i think......

DECISIONS............... DECISIONS............ DECICIONS............... Grrrrr

Opinions people.......? Just go for the Simcas and get it sorted.....????

I would've thought mogs would be a better bet - they're more common, more widely available. Frankly all of the options sound like they weigh a lot, the Simcas are really heavy and Mogs weigh as much as the moon.

Why do you need to protect the portal box?

Never heard of Rockwell Portals before. I believe the Simca Portal reduction is before the front CV joints, so there is no halving the stress loads on these components as there is on mogs/volvos etc. yes the Simca CV joints will be sized appropriately to cope but the penalty is weight and bulk, and lots of it. I've only seen Simca axles in photos, but they don't appear to be a particularly elegant design for fitment to LandRover sized vehicles.

Bill.

if you are a deviant :unsure: and feel the need to go for Simca axles have you tried RR services in Kent - they normally have a load of them kicking around. We used to buy stuff off them to keep the Simca shoot bus running, quirky, thirsty, cheap. not the best design of axle in the world :(

save pennies - go mog

save weight - go volvo

Out of curiosity, have you already dismissed the volvo's?

Yes, afraid so.... They're getting harder and harder to source and the price is £**** scarey then i see things like.....

post-4890-1210584085_thumb.jpg

And loose interest even more

My thoery at the moment is i havent seen broken Simcas or heard of any BIG, HEAVY= Strong???? Give me a diamond to stick in my pocket for a day and i'll return it as sand..... So strong is good....

Yes, afraid so.... They're getting harder and harder to source and the price is £**** scarey then i see things like.....

post-4890-1210584085_thumb.jpg

And loose interest even more

My thoery at the moment is i havent seen broken Simcas or heard of any BIG, HEAVY= Strong???? Give me a diamond to stick in my pocket for a day and i'll return it as sand..... So strong is good....

lol

this one picture keeps going round and round - any others?

Mogs may be the way to go

if you are a deviant :unsure: and feel the need to go for Simca axles have you tried RR services in Kent - they normally have a load of them kicking around. We used to buy stuff off them to keep the Simca shoot bus running, quirky, thirsty, cheap. not the best design of axle in the world :(

save pennies - go mog

save weight - go volvo

I'm no expert well i know nothing really about the mogs, however they seem difficult and expensive to fit in comparison to the simcas....??

• 1 month later...